Driving over septic ?

/ Driving over septic ? #31  
That's what I have too...the long drainfield pipes are enclosed in plastic (onion bag like) bags filled with what look like packing peanuts. The whole thing is about 10 feet long and they connect them together. Didn't have to put in gravel or sand, dug a trench, laid them in, covered it up.

/ Driving over septic ? #32  
The only septic systems that need air to breath and feed the bacteria (not bugs) are old stone and pipe systems. The new style systems (Enviro-Septic and Eljen In-Drain) are made with special plastics and textiles that will generate bacteria and create a mini homeostacis (enviroment for bacteria). You only need to vent systems that are pumped and that is just to create a vaccum free area for the effulent and not work the pump hard. Pump systems also need "Differential Venting" now where the vent on the end of the leach bed is at least 10' higher than the vent on the D-box.

Either of the two newer systems that I mentioned can go under a driveway gravel or pavement, as long as there is at least 18" of #2 gravel above the system for weight distribution.

Also the Seasonal High Water Table is not always where the water starts, it is where the motteling of the soils is. That is spots of lighter then normal soils that are "bleached" from water running through the soils.

That's it for class today, see you tomorrow... :D

/ Driving over septic ? #33  
"The only septic systems that need air to breath and feed the bacteria (not bugs) are old stone and pipe systems."

Well there you go. That's what the huge majority of standard systems are here in WA. Even new ones unless you are dealing with groundwater, small lots, or extremely slow permeability.

I hope that we don't get forced to move to the more expensive technologies in the future but if we do I will be able to consider stuffing them under a driveway.

/ Driving over septic ? #34  
I always forget what a broad range of users we have on here from Maine to Cali. All the stats and rules I post here pertain to the New England area but should be pretty typical for most areas. In short Some restrictions may apply. :D