Drone Experience

/ Drone Experience #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
Hey all. A slight departure from tractors.
I have just picked up a drone and started learning about various aspects of the drone world.
Any thoughts or information on them like--
Agricultural applications
Photographic uses
Rules and regulations
Good/bad experiences

/ Drone Experience #2  
I use a dji mavic for checking fences in a leisurely manner, Alien is something of a drone guru and will probably throw in an expert offering as opposed to an opinion.

/ Drone Experience
I use a dji mavic for checking fences in a leisurely manner, Alien is something of a drone guru and will probably throw in an expert offering as opposed to an opinion.

Thanks
I am looking for general opinions as well as more seasoned input

/ Drone Experience #5  
I have an Autel drone. Have had it four years now. Somewhere around 1000 flights. With extra batteries, charger, tablet monitor, etc., I've got somewhere around $1500 invested.

I'm not pimping Autel at all. With that said, buy a quality Drone. My Brother bought a cheap Drone and it flew off into the sunset first flight.

It's quite a learning curve. A lot going on when airborne. Lot of data displayed on the monitor to coordinate your flight. Great attention needs to be paid to that data to stay out of flight trouble. Elevation, direction, distance from home, battery time left, direction of flight. Then add the camera data to monitor. It's challenging but I enjoy it. I've taken hundreds of pictures and shot hours of video.

I've visited several farms/homes and taken pics and videos for people. I don't charge anything, do it for fun. I've also shot many, many Agricultural videos of crop planting/harvesting. First time I crashed was while videoing a high speed corn planter, 12mph, at an altitude of 20ft. Backed the drone into trees at the end of the field.....

I have a 100V convertor on my truck. Also have two chargers. Five batteries. Each battery will safely last about 15 minutes depending on type of flight, wind, etc. Many times I've exhausted all five batteries.

I've never lost my Drone. I've had it "critical land" half a dozen times. Always because I get busy running the camera and forget to monitor battery time left... Pretty embarrassing to have to go retrieve the Drone half a mile away....

I think if you "You Tube" search my name, Richard Rucker, you'll find the videos I've posted.

20170322_162736 (1280x720).jpg

We built a house this past year. Took several pics of that operation. Gives things a whole new perspective.

20181101.jpg

20181211 (2).JPG

20181217 (12).JPG

/ Drone Experience
Thanks
I have an Evo myself and have only flown it about 10 times. I live on 10+ acres of woods and all my neighbors do also so I don't have a lot of clear space at home to try to fly and practice like you do. Love your place. Thanks for the feedback.

/ Drone Experience #7  
Here's an example of the complexity of all this. I took both of these pics on the same flight. 3/4 mile distance from me. 1/2 mile apart.

I'm busy watching the flight data. I have a long run back to "home" where I'm standing. I'm taking all the pics I can in haste. During the flight the sun went behind clouds. That changed all of the camera settings. I was hurried. I made no camera adjustments. Look at the difference in these two pics.

So, when flying, I take a LOT of pics. A LOT. Then I sort thru them and save the good ones.

If you are after clarity and detail, cloudy conditions are best. Sunshine casts many shadows and glares.

These pics were not long after sunrise.

MAX_0052.JPG

MAX_0078.JPG

/ Drone Experience #8  
Forgot to mention. In the pic with three combines. If you look to the horizon in the distance, you can see a small grouping of trees on the horizon. That's where I was standing when I shot that pic.

/ Drone Experience #10  
Here's a pic of my farm taken at the legal altitude of 400'. The Autel Drone will climb to 2,600.

MAX_0024.JPG

I'm not a licensed pilot. I do however have an FAA permit. Cost me $5. FAA has my Drone info on file, S/N, etc. I have no issues with that at all.

I never fly over someone without first getting permission. I don't hover over people. I hesitate to fly over a crowd. People misunderstand Drones. Some people think if you are flying over them you are "spying". It's not legal to have a zoom lense on the camera. You have to be extremely close to an object to get a detailed pic. If I'm trying to peek in your window I've gotta be just as close as I would with the naked eye. But again, people misunderstand. I don't want to contribute to that misunderstanding.

Here's a pic I took at a local small Car Show. I was at an altitude of 120ft. As you can see, can't even recognize anyone, let alone window peek. :)

MAX_0008 (1280x960).jpg