Dropped 20 acres last night

/ Dropped 20 acres last night #12  
we go from feast to famine now in the current climate debacle.the extremes play havoc on landscapes, wildlife, & agri. & going to get worse. i sure do miss much of the wildlife that once populated the Ozarks many yrs ago.
glad i don't make a living from agri, & feel for those that do. best regards given the circumstances.

/ Dropped 20 acres last night
Back at it…..

1685669364302.jpeg

1685669399454.jpeg

/ Dropped 20 acres last night #14  
I have a neighbor on my immediate south. He is a big cattle rancher. He also cuts and stores his winter hay. About ten years ago he also moved into the custom cutting business. Keeps his EXPENSIVE equipment working.

So....five years ago - after lots of hints, suggestions, near begging - he let me help by operating one of his balers. It was from about 10am ( dew had dried off the cut hay) until it was so damn dark - nobody could see anything.

That one day was all it took. I've NEVER been so overall filthy, itchy and stuffed up. And it was a cabbed tractor.
I didn't know if I should take two aspirin for my headache or something for my plugged sinuses. I was so darn tired - seriously considered sleeping right there in my pickup.

Yes - I have an idea what custom cutting entails. He has no competition here.

/ Dropped 20 acres last night #15  
There should be a lot of nice first cutting hay around here since it won't be rained on. We've had very little rain since the middle of May and no rain in the 10 day forecast. Not good for anything else though. Unusually dry this early.
Same here in Michigan dry dry dry

/ Dropped 20 acres last night #16  
I did finally get some hay for my horses, a lot of steams. Should have been cut two weeks ago, but too much rain. My ha guy is having people as far as OK wanting hay. He is selling everything, They are chopping it up and adding to feed cattle, Most likely to turn dry now.

I have a neighbor on my immediate south. He is a big cattle rancher. He also cuts and stores his winter hay. About ten years ago he also moved into the custom cutting business. Keeps his EXPENSIVE equipment working.

So....five years ago - after lots of hints, suggestions, near begging - he let me help by operating one of his balers. It was from about 10am ( dew had dried off the cut hay) until it was so damn dark - nobody could see anything.

That one day was all it took. I've NEVER been so overall filthy, itchy and stuffed up. And it was a cabbed tractor.
I didn't know if I should take two aspirin for my headache or something for my plugged sinuses. I was so darn tired - seriously considered sleeping right there in my pickup.

Yes - I have an idea what custom cutting entails. He has no competition here.

We have “day’s afield” like that. I did 14 hours of baling last week. Once you get someone raking twin windrows together in front of you, you just go until you can’t anymore. I had so many bugs and so much sap on my windshield, I could barely see!
I’ll come home 9-10PM, basically throw my clothes in the trash, take a shower and pass out. Dinner is a protein bar consumed in the tractor cab and washed down with a bottle of iced tea.

We have baled fields, then picked up and moved the equipment 10 miles away, baled them until dark, then drive the equipment home in the dark on creepy back roads. Heck, I’ll watch Tucker Carlson while baling (well, I did) or Newsmax on my I-phone.
I remember watching (listening more than watching, of course) a few of my kids college games on my I phone while baling.

Heading home yesterday about 6:30

1685820459271.jpeg

Last edited:
Stacking bales.
The Challenger’s Quicke 6 loader can stack 4x4x8’s 4 layers high, but not by much….

1685820539295.jpeg

We hit a really nice clean spot and made 8 4x4x5.5’ feed bales for Hay Huts.

1685820606670.jpeg

Shoved them in this run in shed-storm was coming. Needed immediate shelter.

50 more today.
Windy as all get out….
1686102354474.jpeg

Baled up 24 more “refrigerators” today.
Baler was giving me trouble. Turns out the cutter knives had dropped-no idea why and caused hay to bunch-up under the baler.

1686184959179.jpeg

There’s a sensor that’s supposed to let me know in the cab when the cutter is down, but the sensor took a dump. Made some pretty “hairy” bales. Sloppy stacking job….might have to go back tomorrow and re-stack some.

1686184995858.jpeg

I don’t know if you can see the smoke in the air from Canada.

1686184776192.jpeg