Drought In Western US and Canada

/ Drought In Western US and Canada #11  
California drought map: Current California Drought Map | USDA Climate Hubs

We're in a D3 zone (on the central coast not SoCal). We got a little less than half of the average rainfall last winter- 23 vs 50. SoCal does not get much rain even in normal years. So the vegetation is adapted for that.

Our well was sucking air so I stopped watering the lawn. First time I've had to do that in 24 years. I called the well service company to ask about getting another stick of pipe added to put the pump lower in the well, and they don't have pipe OR pumps. They said lots of people in our area are getting dry well errors.

Let's hope we get normal rain this winter.

/ Drought In Western US and Canada #12  
NW Arkansas, has gotten dry, but totally normal this time of year. Was way wet through May. probably 8 to 10 inches above normal for the year, but it might stay dry longer than usual to get closer to normal year.

/ Drought In Western US and Canada #13  
Here in Central California we have just been told that there will be no water for farmers. Wells are running dry again.

/ Drought In Western US and Canada #14  
I actually witnessed a flash flood for the first time in my life where a dry creek bed became a flooded torrent of mud water and rocks in under a minute!
It was crazy for an easterner like me to see it. Happened last week in Capital Reef National Park.
The day before we got there, roads to the park were under water and the nearby creeks and the Dirty Devil River looked like chocolate milk from all the flooding.

/ Drought In Western US and Canada #15  
You have to pay attention to weather reports in some of those areas. Big rain can dump water miles away, and you can be in trouble pretty quick. Sometimes it just mosey's along, but other times it's right there, right now. Capital Reef is a gorgeous area.