Drum mower for hay and all purpose? 3/4 remotes and TnT?

/ Drum mower for hay and all purpose? 3/4 remotes and TnT? #1  

NinjaB

Tractor
CT2540
Looking at our first tractor. 20 acres, small livestock with about 5 acres of pasture (several small 1/2 acre fenced in and one larger open pasture), 5 acres woods. Midwest, some snow but not much, will plow 1/4 mile driveway 1-3 times per year typically.

Probably getting Bobcat CT 2540, 37hp compact with cab. I have a rototiller and box blade already. We also have a zeroturn for yard mowing.

Add ons I am considering
FEL
3rd function kit for the front
HST with the linked pedal kit
60month protection plus 2000 hours
7' Tine Rake
2.5k Pallet forks with 42" forks
Comes with 2 rear remotes, considering added on 2 extra for 4 total (should I do it, not sure if I will use them to begin with)

Top and tilt kit (haven't got a quote yet on this and thinking I may not really need it.

My big question is if I should get a rotary mower. We plan on doing hay at some point and I will probably get a small drum mower for hay (4.5 or 5.5ft?). Will the drum mower be able to handle all the mowing tasks (except the zeroturn for yard) and make the rotary unnecessary? Mainly need to mow the pastures, the path around the property with weeds and thorn bushes, and around a 1 acre pond with some slopes (may use zeroturn there but pond is not done yet and not seeded around it yet).

Also opinions on the extra 3/4th rear remotes and top and tilt kit, well worth it for me or likely wasted money?

/ Drum mower for hay and all purpose? 3/4 remotes and TnT? #2  
Only my opinion as I haven't tried it, BUT I wouldn't use a drum mower to cut junk brush and grass. Save the blades on the drum mower for the "good stuff" and your hay grass. Either a rotary mower or flail mower for the "junk" areas.

When I was a kid we cut hay with sickle mowers. We still had a couple of brush hog rotary mowers, but those were used for "everything else" that wasn't hay field grass.

/ Drum mower for hay and all purpose? 3/4 remotes and TnT? #3  
I have a Tar River 165 drum mower that I use for hay and for that purpose it is incredible (only downside is it cuts very short) but it is fast and never clogs. For pasture management it would not be a good fit because it cuts too short and for brush management the breakaway would constantly be kicking in every time you hit something hard. A brush hog or a finish mower will be your best bet. Even drum mowers will cut too short for pastures. You will loose a lot of feed from cutting so close.

As for the rear hydraulics there's a couple options. 1. A diverter kit from the loader SCV. Push button and the joystick instantly controls the two rear outputs. 2. Go with a single rear remote and if more are needed just add a hydraulic multiplier like the ones they sell at summit racing. Then you can go up to 4 rear remotes if needed.

Top and Tilt. It is a nice luxury but not necessary. A lot of guys have them for landscaping and such. Works really nice for crowning driveway and such. I will say for small farming operations a hydraulic top link is a nice addition especially if using pallet forks or a hay spear off the 3 pt.

/ Drum mower for hay and all purpose? 3/4 remotes and TnT? #4  
I would agree with super55 on the rear hydraulics issue. For me, the hydraulic top link is almost a must. Easier implement hook up PLUS the real biggie - infinite control of implements on the 3-point while you are still moving. Stop - twist, twist, twist - then go - - gets real old, real soon.

I no longer have to settle for - "well, it looks pretty good". With a slight touch on the hydraulic control lever - infinite adjustment while still motoring on.

/ Drum mower for hay and all purpose? 3/4 remotes and TnT?
Thanks for the drum mower insight, the cut height is not adjustable?

The tractor we are looking at comes with 2 rear remotes, they have an option for 2 extra rear remotes installed but not sure on price guessing around 1k.

Maybe I should just stick with 2 rear remotes which would be enough for top link and one hydraulic on rear implement.

What size drum mower for only 4 acres of hay? Smallest size possible? Think that would be 4.5 ft.

/ Drum mower for hay and all purpose? 3/4 remotes and TnT? #6  
I think that you need to double check that you have factory capability of having 4 rear remotes. That pretty much does not happen with factory options until you get up over 100hp machines.

I believe that the tractor comes with 2 sets, (center mounted, joystick controlled) and are typically used for the loader. The rear 2 are optional and are most likely all that there is available.

It's possible the literature is wrong/confusing on the remotes, but it says option for 4 rear hydraulic remotes. I asked the dealer for a quote for the extra 2 rear remotes and the sales rep said they are already included. I am sure he is confused and counting 4 ports for 2 remotes as 4 remotes.

Otherwise bobcat has a deal currently on 3 pt implements, buy 2 get $400 off. I am considering getting two but not sure if they are a good deal or if I should go with a different brand instead. Considering 7' angle blade, 7' Tine Rake, and an Auger (bit not included). All are about $850 each plus the $400 rebate, so really $650 each if I get two. Would you get any of these with the tractor or get other brands later?

/ Drum mower for hay and all purpose? 3/4 remotes and TnT? #8  
Thanks for the drum mower insight, the cut height is not adjustable?

The tractor we are looking at comes with 2 rear remotes, they have an option for 2 extra rear remotes installed but not sure on price guessing around 1k.

Maybe I should just stick with 2 rear remotes which would be enough for top link and one hydraulic on rear implement.

What size drum mower for only 4 acres of hay? Smallest size possible? Think that would be 4.5 ft.
Drum mowers ride along the ground on a disc/stump jumper. You can can raise the height through spacers but still cuts way closer then a hay bine or disc bine. With spacers you probably can get a 3-3 1/2 inch cut. Without spacers you are probably looking at 2".

With 2 rear remotes already. You are good to go. You can run top/tilt or when needed just set your implement up and transfer the lines to it. You will honestly won't need more rear remotes. If for for some reason you do you still have 2 sets available where the FEL would connect.

As for the drum mower I would look at getting the 165 or the 185. I definitely wouldn't recommend the smallest for this reason alone. When it cuts it windrows so you will need to ted the hay. With my 165 the windrows are just wide enough so I am not driving over other windrows while tedding. I do 5 acres with a 165 drum on a 32hp JD. It takes me about 2 hours to cut. Then I will ted it, rake and mini round bales.

For the 165/185 do you recommend hydraulic lift for it or not?

And how high do you cut grazing pastures for weed control, like 4" or higher?

/ Drum mower for hay and all purpose? 3/4 remotes and TnT? #10  
For the 165/185 do you recommend hydraulic lift for it or not?

And how high do you cut grazing pastures for weed control, like 4" or higher?
Definitely recommend the hydraulic lift. You never be able to put it in the upright position otherwise. It's actually probably a better transport way then the transport position because then it sticks out so far out the back it will make the front light without a FEL unless you are using a well sized utility tractor.

I try to maintain my pastures at roughly 4-6 inches. I let the horses or cows have it for awhile. They will naturally avoid the vegetation they don't like so it will be taller then the rest. At 4-6", Im not clipping vegetation unless it's a weed or a grass that has gone to seed head.