Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work?

/ Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work? #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
Ok so quick backstory. We bought property. Was basically abandoned for 100 years. Over that time the state put culverts under the road nearby and diverted stormwater onto the field. So right now the field receives stormwater runoff, but also a constant trickle of water diversion from 2-3+ spring fed ponds throughout the area. Luckily the way the field is pitched eventually takes all that water and drains it into a creek. My job for the past few years has been digging trenches first by hand, now i have my branson with backhoe doing bigger better trenching. My goal is to get all the stormwater runoff diverted properly which i'm close to completing.

The fields used to be cow pasture by the next door farmer for a long time. Probably 80 years. When digging my trenches and in general i know the field could drain better. When i dig with the hoe there is usually a layer of clay anywhere from 8-12" down. I have been trying to figure out what to do about that "hard pan" layer and it seems like subsoiling is my best bet.

I wanted to see if others have done subsoiling on wetter fields and if you have actually noticed a difference after subsoiling?

For example i've noticed when trenching that if there was standing water .. it was likely b/c there was clay underneath or rock.

The other "options" i have considered was something like tillage radishes, i thought about digging up wet spots then putting them back mixed with hay, and even though of using haybal spears to "aerate" poke holes in the ground. But the subsoiler method seems like its the most common and straightforward and time efficient.

Thank you!

/ Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work? #2  
Sounds to me like you need it professionally tiled with perforated plastic drainage pipe installed with a laser guided tile plow. Lots of outfits out there that do that. They will plot the field, determine the best collection point to drain to and install the plastic pipe.

/ Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work?
Sounds to me like you need it professionally tiled with perforated plastic drainage pipe installed with a laser guided tile plow. Lots of outfits out there that do that. They will plot the field, determine the best collection point to drain to and install the plastic pipe.
possibly .. i'm just trying to try the most cost effective stuff first.

i'm also not a serious operation .. just trying to have a nice field

/ Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work? #4  
Without ascertaining water flow to a collection point for drainage all you are doing is wasting your time. Sometimes, it's better to pay for the experience and have it done right the first time.

/ Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work?
Without ascertaining water flow to a collection point for drainage all you are doing is wasting your time. Sometimes, it's better to pay for the experience and have it done right the first time.
Well to be clear all the storm water will be diverted properly into a body of water.

i am mainly referring to any standing water. Wondering if “subsoiling” actually helps with drainage. I know they say it does but was looking for real experience.

im not opposed to tiling at all

i also don’t have lots of “standing” water, but i just know it certain parts could drain better

/ Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work? #6  
its hard to picture but if you have ditch that flow to the creek and use the subsoiler from the high ground of the field to the ditch that should work that is what a subsoiler is made for and have been used for so yes ...

/ Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work? #8  
It can get tricky when messing with water management. State could get involved and make your life a mess. Around here certain runoff can’t drain into creek may need a holding pond Big $$. Storm water management consultant

/ Drying up field ... does subsoiling really work? #9  
How many s-f , any grade ?