Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup…

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #21  
Uno, on the u48 the inner filter is just a thin metal screen. I had never pulled it and was shocked. Most inners are a thick fabric. This thing is a joke. Look at it, it doesnt seem like any kind of life saver.
View attachment 783962
Perfectly adequate for intended purpose.

For decades, IC engines had little or no intake filtration of any kind.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #22  
1964 Ford truck had an oil bath. I remember my father "changing the oil" in the bath once. The oil bath must have worked, the oil was dark black when he replaced it.
Oil bath air filters are about as good as intake filters get but they are expensive, bulky, heavy and routine maintenance is more time consuming than simply swaping a paper element.

The automotive industry used oil bath air filters until the late 50s, 58 for GM. Changeover to paper filters was made in order to save cost.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #23  
   / Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #24  
Interesting reading from several points of view.
My take on the oil bath air cleaners, they worked in the smaller low speed engines they were built for. They had to be designed for the airflow they would see, to much airflow would carry oil over and into the engine, to low an air flow the dust particles could make the turn and not get trapped in the oil and oil would not be drawn up into the steel wool to help trap particles.
Also those engines did not have the life span as todays engines and often were built with ease of in frame over hauls in mind.

As far as current air filter maintenance, I took some photos out of a New Holland operators manual;
it also states not to service untill the indicator lights up or every 600 hrs.
and has 3 ways to clean the outer filter.

air filter 1A.jpg

air filter 2A.jpg

air filter 3A.jpg

air filter 4A.jpg

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #25  
The "important note" on the first page tells me they don't recommend frequent cleaning for filter longevity reasons. I believe that.

A later comment about placing the air nozzle inside the filter, but 6" from the element to blow outward is going to be very hard to do. :)

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #26  
The "important note" on the first page tells me they don't recommend frequent cleaning for filter longevity reasons. I believe that.

A later comment about placing the air nozzle inside the filter, but 6" from the element to blow outward is going to be very hard to do. :)
in to out method works great with a leaf blower, not high pressure air nozzle. HVLP works best, & agree to only occasionall clean. thankfully, my grill is excellent at preventing most excess debris (sedge bloom, etc) into entering the intake area. this is one of the 1st things i noticed in a full size "utility" M series vs compact & sub tractor. regards

Last edited:
   / Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup…
Well, I’m starting to rethink filter cleaning so often. I always assumed the filter minder was “uh oh, you messed up and got to dirty” kinda monitor. But dang, a filter on a ctl or skid steer can get sooo caked with dust.

FYI, i bought all new filters for my 2 kubotas today-$175..reason being is i saw the fine light dust in the intakes. I still think ultra small micron stuff will always penetrate though. Might be over thinking this as usual.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #28  
Well, I’m starting to rethink filter cleaning so often. I always assumed the filter minder was “uh oh, you messed up and got to dirty” kinda monitor. But dang, a filter on a ctl or skid steer can get sooo caked with dust.

FYI, i bought all new filters for my 2 kubotas today-$175..reason being is i saw the fine light dust in the intakes. I still think ultra small micron stuff will always penetrate though. Might be over thinking this as usual.
I've never saw a filter reminder "maxed out". I can only imagine how dirty the filter must be to do that.

I also have reservations about that. So,,,, most of the filter element, maybe 70-80% has to be clogged to trigger such a reaction from the reminder. Doesn't that mean that now the engine's air has to pass thru 20-30% of the filter element? At what velocity?

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #29  

nothing wrong with over thinking on that. aside from mechanical cond, engine oil & fuel/air filtration are paramount for a diesel. filtration is wise thinking & inexpensive for diesel engine longevity. regards

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #30  

It is easy to get in a hole and not realize how deep you are. Do filters remove slightly more material when dirty, maybe, certainly can see the logic.......

Will you hurt anything by replacing air filters? Good grief no.............

Best,

ed