Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup…

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #31  
This may seem obvious, but it needs to be said...

A filter gets better at filtering the dirtier it gets. The dirtier it gets, the less flow it has. So there is always a balance to good filtration at the sacrifice of flow. What is more important for the application at hand will dictate what direction to go.

Use this information as you see fit...and thanks for coming to my ted talk.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #32  
A filter gets better at filtering the dirtier it gets. The dirtier it gets, the less flow it has. So there is always a balance to good filtration at the sacrifice of flow. What is more important for the application at hand will dictate what direction to go.
Keep in mind that most filtration systems are designed with lots of extra capacity for this very reason.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #33  
Keep in mind that most filtration systems are designed with lots of extra capacity for this very reason.
A JD tech told me a story regarding a township near me. They called for a tech because their machine had lost significant HP. The tech found the breather cannister so full of dirt he could barely pull the filter out. The secondary filter was clogged as well. The engine had caused enough vacuum to breach the primary filter.

Again, running a partially clogged filter causes increased velocity at the outer cleats. I see no benefit or logic to going that far.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #34  
Most people seem to think that they are doing their engines a favor by keeping the filter clean. A service manager once told me that the dirtier the filter the cleaner the air going into the engine. It makes sense when you think about it. So why would you give your engine the dirtiest air possible by cleaning the filter?
Because a clogged air filter reduces intake airflow which reduces power output.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #35  
Because a clogged air filter reduces intake airflow which reduces power output.
To me this argument doesn't hold water. The filter is already designed to compensate for being partially plugged. IE it has extra capacity. Also by far the majority of tractors on TBN are rarely used at full power. Mine sees full power in spring when I'm rototilling gardens. The rest of the year is pretty easy going.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #36  
Have to blowout the primary filter several times a year mowing and bush hogging. Same for the radiators. Inner filter gets gently soapy washed and dried once in spring.

Had M5030 whose power steering would get hard every 5-6 years. Fine stainless steel filter screen looked clean till sprayed with brake cleaner to remove fine black residue and fixed the problem. Reason I wash the fine screen filters. Detailed in some manuals too.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #37  
To me this argument doesn't hold water. The filter is already designed to compensate for being partially plugged. IE it has extra capacity. Also by far the majority of tractors on TBN are rarely used at full power. Mine sees full power in spring when I'm rototilling gardens. The rest of the year is pretty easy going.

Per you statement:
"Most people seem to think that they are doing their engines a favor by keeping the filter clean. A service manager once told me that the dirtier the filter the cleaner the air going into the engine. It makes sense when you think about it. So why would you give your engine the dirtiest air possible by cleaning the filter?"

So you believe the engine is designed to run with dirty filters? If that were the case, why would the manufacturers ever require a filter change per your logic?

Two things happen as the filter clogs; the air flow at any given rpm is reduced and the peak temperature in the cylinder rises because the fuel/air ratio increases. Small reductions in air flow due to partial blocking of the air filter will not provide NOTICABLE reductions in power. None the less, power is reduced. The requirement to change air filters per the manufacturer's recommendation will allow the engine to perform very near to its design intent. Any more restriction and the power loss is deemed unacceptable.

If you want to believe that operating with heavy dust accumulation in the air filter is some how a good thing, well it's your tractor and you can do what you want.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #38  
I have always thought that one of these filter blasters would be quick and easy to use.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #39  
I have always thought that one of these filter blasters would be quick and easy to use.

For me anyway I'd be concerned I'd damage the filter media or it will eventually get so worn down it's not going to do much in terms of filtration, I saw something like that before its no longer available. Something like it can be found on Amazon I believe if I follow manufacturers specs it's not that costly of insurance and piece of mind to just replace them. If for some reason I feel the need to clean off a filter I usually lightly tap a corner on the work bench.

/ Dual element filtration. How much dust gets past? Yup… #40  
If you want to believe that operating with heavy dust accumulation in the air filter is some how a good thing, well it's your tractor and you can do what you want.
I don't recall saying anything abut a heavy dust accumulation ever. That's a totally different conversation as far as I'm concerned. Your missing my point and that's ok.