Dug Well Project

/ Dug Well Project #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
Ok starting a new project that has to be done a in operation before winter really hits. I am looking to build a well to service a barn of three horses using the concrete well tile rings. I have plenty of water on my property so I know it will take water. I need all the information I can get from you guys. I plan to dig down probably about 10-12 feet. Place down a couple feet of this washed stone I have laying around and then go up with the well tiles.

Should I line the bottom and sides with filter fabric? I have lots of clay and shale on my property.

Any design ideas?

/ Dug Well Project #2  
I am repeating from an old memory. The old gentleman I served my apprenticeship with told me about digging wells with tiles. He said you put the tile on the ground and dig the earth out from under it until it settles into the ground then you put another on top and repeat until they are down as far as you need. It is safer than trying to dig a 12' hole and get them in it with out a cave in. Hope it helps.

/ Dug Well Project
I do not want to dig by hand. I was thinking of getting the boss man to bring up an excavator and lowering everything in. I don't think the water jet method would work due the shale I may have to bust through.

/ Dug Well Project #5  
If the Boss Man brings in an excavator have him dig the hole as deep as possible. Then put in some filter fabric, lay a gravel base, place the concrete sections, backfill with gravel and cap it off with clay the is sloped to shed water.:D

The concrete sections [ Manhole or catch basin sections] do come in different diameters and lengths. Consider a four foot diameter or larger and get a concrete cap for it :D

/ Dug Well Project #6  
So thats how they lined a dug well with rock,always did wonder how that was done,,guess somethings are a really lost art,,

They layed down the rock lining and dug under,than laid more?

/ Dug Well Project #7  
I did a dug well when I built my house under the tuteledge of a friend that had done several. Went 16 ft deep, put in a layer of #2's and started stacking pipe (48" dia. concrete). backfilled with 2's to within 4' of surface, put down fabric and finished filling w/ clay.

/ Dug Well Project
I have attached a detail I have been working from. The process of building the well as I see it:

1) Dig the hole as deep as possible
2) Line bottom of hole with filter fabric and stone
3) Stack up well tiles
4) Back fill with stone up to about 5 feet from top of ground
5) Back fill with dirt rest of way
6) create slope at top so ground water does not contaminate
7) Set top

Questions:
1) Should the bottom well tile have holes to allow water to come in the sides, or should I rely on water just coming in from the open bottom.
2) Should I line the sides of the hole with filter fabric? I have lots of clay and shale on my property.

I have many questions on the type of pump, type of piping, and end use faucet. This is the area I need the most help in. The barn is un-heated and has minimal power so please keep that in mind. Any drawings or details would be great as I am a visual type of guy.

Thnak you in advance for all your help.

Attachments

• Dug Well Detail.pdf
    93.4 KB · Views: 192
   / Dug Well Project #9  
Think about a sump pump with float shut off. The float will shut the pump off when the water gets low. [ have to do a few wiring changes.] then use a garden hose for the supply line. put a small hole in the hose just above the pump so water drains out of the garden hose. Nothing should freeze this way.:D I think!:)

/ Dug Well Project #10  
In Illinois you can't put a jet pump suction line into a well for drinking water unless you sleeve it with a pressurized line. There are also bleed back valves that can go in a well that are spring loaded with a small rod out to hit and let the water back in below frost. PEX pipe can stand freezing, it comes in handy if you don't get 100% drain down. A submersible makes an easier job but limits how far down you can pump. This thred is going to be intersting for me. I am just getting back into pump work after several years of not doing any.