Dumb Newbie Question: whaddya think about using a 5-tine cultivator…

/ Dumb Newbie Question: whaddya think about using a 5-tine cultivator… #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
. . . To clear some undergrowth?

I do not yet have a brush-hog or mower attachment, but I would like to clear out some vines/ferns/stuff in a section that I need to take some trees down and eventually plant stuff on. I do have a small cultivator (currently set up with two tines, but I can mount up to five, which I have) For my Class 1 three-point hitch.

Basically, I want to make it a bit more “user-friendly” for going in and chainsawing down some pines and pulling out the logs.

Do you think using the cultivator as a big take to pull out/knock down the smallish stuff (but big/thorny enough to be quite annoying) would work?

thank you for any advice/comments/critiques/etc!

/ Dumb Newbie Question: whaddya think about using a 5-tine cultivator… #2  
How strong or stiff are the cultivator shanks? It might pull some out but a bigger question is how difficult will the vines be to remove from the cultivator?

/ Dumb Newbie Question: whaddya think about using a 5-tine cultivator… #3  
It could work to some degree removing surface vegetation but if you dig into roots, rocks or other immoveable objects and pull too hard you may break some tines.

/ Dumb Newbie Question: whaddya think about using a 5-tine cultivator…
It could work to some degree removing surface vegetation but if you dig into roots, rocks or other immoveable objects and pull too hard you may break some tines.
My Case does have a limiter so I can set it to stay closer to the surface, maybe just 2”-3” depth. I really just want to drag all the “OUCH THAT HURT!!” stuff out of the way…

How strong or stiff are the cultivator shanks? It might pull some out but a bigger question is how difficult will the vines be to remove from the cultivator?
I have no idea how strong they are, having just gotten the cultivator a couple weeks ago.

the tines look like 1/4” thick by about 1-1/4 wide. I can get a better measurement when I get back to the lot either tomorrow or Monday…

/ Dumb Newbie Question: whaddya think about using a 5-tine cultivator… #6  
Cultivators tend to work best in loose soil, you might not get penetration if the ground is hard. If it just slides on the surface it might rip some stuff out, but will plug quickly. If you set up the tines like a landscape rake it might help.

/ Dumb Newbie Question: whaddya think about using a 5-tine cultivator… #7  
There is a difference between a simple "cultivator" and something more like a field cultivator which has springs allowing the rippers to trip and reset. Something like a FredCain or DirtDog cultivator could at least attempt it and not break. The simple one may break as others have mentioned. If it is your only option, go slow.

/ Dumb Newbie Question: whaddya think about using a 5-tine cultivator… #8  
If you have a cultivator with "Danish" S-tines, forget it.

Last edited:
There is a difference between a simple "cultivator" and something more like a field cultivator which has springs allowing the rippers to trip and reset. Something like a FredCain or DirtDog cultivator could at least attempt it and not break. The simple one may break as others have mentioned. If it is your only option, go slow.
What I have is just a simple frame with “C”-shaped tines.

I do not intend to have them go into the soil more than 1-2 inches TOPS - I really want to use it like a big rake to make the area walkable.

what I REALLY need is a 48” - 60” brushhog/rough mower but until I find one cheap I have to make do With what I have.