Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #11  
The brackets mount directly to the deck using existing holes in the deck. Hopefully these pictures can help.

The first couple are the back side bracket. On mine, bolted right into existing holes on the deck.
DSCN2559.jpgDSCN2560.jpg

The front side bracket also used two existing holes, but on the bottom lip of the deck. The additional bolt you see toward the inside of the deck is attaching the inside-the-deck baffle thing that directs the clippings into the back side of the boot.
DSCN2561.jpgDSCN2562.jpg

Inner baffle thing.
DSCN2563.jpg

Last edited:
   / Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #12  
Now that's an interesting variation. I see you have the plastic clippings deflector on the deck. I do see a hole on the deck to the left of the exit. I also see a metal part on the exit of the boot that looks like it might line up with the hole in the deck and implies a pin might go through the part and into the rear of the deck. This would keep the boot attached on one end at least????? do they line up? Not sure what the other part on the top leading edge of the boot is? Is that metal? No rubber strap to hook it to the front of the deck? Plastic window to see if your chute is plugged????? Interesting. Dealer claims this will fit your deck????

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #13  
I think I prefer my mounting system. But it all makes sense now. I didn't see your response GolfAddict before posting mine.

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #14  
Yes, they are definitely different styles - no idea why...

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #15  
Thanks for the input. I am going to have to check with the dealer. I mounted the boot onto the deck using two rubber straps to hold it into place. The grass catcher worked well even thought it got plugged a few times and I needed to empty often. Given I left the grass go a little longer I am quite pleased. Now if I could get it mounted properly. As I mentioned I bought this used from my dealer. Your input has been very helpful. It appears the front bracket is bent severely and oddly the two holes on the bracket do NOT align with the holes on the desk. They are off by about 1/8". I attached the rear bracket based on the pictures you attached. Thanks! As shown, when the boot is "placed" onto the deck as it best fits the bracket and boot do not line up? I noticed the boot appears to have been cut and maybe the previous owner modified to fit their deck. I appreciate your time. It helped validate I was not completely off the wall. Another option may be for me to modify the boot but I want to do this as a last resort.

IMG_0547.jpgIMG_0548.jpgIMG_0549.jpg

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #16  
Do you not have the inside the deck baffle that GolfAddict indicated in one of his pictures? Your boot has the hole for it. I gather it extends beyond the deck frame itself. Between that and the rear pin you really should not need your rubber straps. I remember way back when i got mine that there was an internal baffle plate but I never got a good answer from the dealer if I needed it or not. Have run 9 years without it. Yes, if you get long wet grass it will be more fun than short dry grass. Leaves can also plug up but if they are dry, no problem. If anything long twiggy things are what cause me the most grief. BUT still a nice way to collect grass and leaves...........beats raking.

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #17  
I took a few more pictures. I think it should work, but I noticed a couple of things. Looking back at your picture where you show the parts, it does look like the front bracket is bent at the end with the bolts. The bolt end should be flat, not curved up where the bolts are.

The back bracket I think you have bolted on correctly. This one is kind of blurry, but I believe it compares to where you mounted yours.
DSCN2564.jpg

The front bracket bolts on the bottom lip of the deck, the second and third holes in, but it should be flat under there - yours looks like it is bent. Perhaps you can mount it, then crank it down (unbend) so it sticks out straight. For now, ignore that orange metal baffle insert in the deck. That bolts on totally separate and doesn't come into play at all in putting the boot on.
DSCN2565.jpg
Note that first hole isn't used, next two holes are for the bracket, other holes for the baffle thing.
DSCN2569.jpg

Here the boot is just off the brackets. Notice how that front bracket sticks way forward, parallel plane to the deck - I think if you bolt yours on it will curve back toward the deck. But if you go ahead and bolt it on (it goes under the mower lip, bolts through the lip) I think you can just step on it or something to bend it down flat.
DSCN2566.jpg

And then attached with the pin in the back and pin in the front. The front of the boot fits into that space between the deck and bracket sticking out there and slide the pin down through.
DSCN2567.jpg

On your original picture of the parts, I didn't see the orange metal baffle thing. This bolts onto the deck, again in existing holes, and narrows the opening of the shoot so that the clippings go into the rear part of the boot. Without that, I think you are just filling up that front section but most must be exiting through the back open section and on through the tube. I think you should have that baffle though, as it will direct the clippings better the direction they should go. It will probably give you better suction from the PTO fan on the back as well - I'm sure it's all engineered for that. It may not clog as easily...

Last edited:
   / Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #18  
I realized I've never asked - which deck do you have? What I've been telling you is how it works on my 54" deck...

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #19  
I have the 60" deck which may be part of the problem. I have removed the baffle inside the boot. I was experimenting to see if I could get it to engage the deck more fully. My deck does not have a deflector on the deck shoot. There appears to be a mounting hole for one. I guess this is what I get for trying to save a few dollars and buying a used one. It was in excellent shape and claimed to be only used once. I suspect the one time the previous owner may have hit something and decided it wasn't worth it. I can't see how the front bracket would be bent otherwise. It worked great with my kludged assembly. If I can get it figured out it should be nice with the leaves once they fall.

/ Dumb question (?) BX grass catcher #20  
IT'S too bad you live so far away as I have the GCK60-BX grass catcher for sale. I recently purchased a tow behind Cyclone and really like it. I initally paid $1647.00 for it and I am asking $1100.00 or a good offer. I purchased it new in March 2005 and used it for five (5) years. There's nothing wrong with it and I just got tired of man handling it. Everybody has a reason for doing what they do.

Last edited: