Dumb Questions About Filters

/ Dumb Questions About Filters #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
In addition to the engine oil filter (Operator's Manual, Page 3-7), my TC25D has 2 other oil filters;

- Hydraulic System Oil Filter (Page 3-15)
- H.S.T. System Oil Filter (Page 3-15)

Page 3-13 mentions there's a common sump for the transmission, rear axle and hydraulic system.

Some questions...
1. If there's a common sump, why are there 2 filters?
2. Is there only one place to check the hydraulic oil for the trans, rear axle and hydraulic system, i.e., the dip stick on top of the rear axle?

/ Dumb Questions About Filters #2  
Mike,

I'm no expert, but I'll try to answer your question.

There's two filters because one filters the oil for the Transmission(HST) and the other filters the oil for the hydraulics on the tractor. Yes, the oil for these filters comes from a common sump. The dip stick and fill point is on the back end of the tractor.

The oil for the front axle is seperate and the dip stick and fill point is located on the front axle.

Maybe another TBN'er will chime in here and help us out.

/ Dumb Questions About Filters #3  
I will add to that but not sure if I am correct, only going buy what I was told by one of the service techs at a dealership, not the one I bought from. I was told the one for the Hydro is more critical that it is cleaned for finer particles. Not sure if that is correct but it would make sense.

murph

/ Dumb Questions About Filters #4  
I'm still in the shopping phase for my NH. As a heavy equipment mechanic, I'd offer the following opinion. Depending on if they're return or pressure filters, the main reason for seperate filters is to filter the particles out before they can stick the hydraulic valves for the loader. When I get a look at the placement and type, I'll give ya a better answer if'n it ain't already been done. Regards: Glenn

/ Dumb Questions About Filters #6  
Thanks. It's great to be a newbie yet again... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif