Dump Trailer Problem

/ Dump Trailer Problem #21  
Here is a simple means to diagnose as to which component the problem lies in.
Install a tee in the line that runs to the bottom of the lift cylinder and a gauge (0-3000lb) off that tee.
When you lift up the body the gauge will reflect the pressure going into the cylinder as the body lifts.
When you set the controls to lower the pressure should drop as the body lowers and zero at the bottom. If the pressure drops considerably while the body does not move then the valve J J mentioned that releases pressure back to the tank should be working ok, and the likely culprit is the cylinder hanging up.
If the pressure holds with the controls in lower mode or only drops a little and holds the remainder of the pressure, then the before mentioned valve is at fault.
If the latter is the case and you also installed a length of hose and a valve before the gauge you could then
1) Shut the valve,
2) Remove the gauge and
3) Use the valve to release the pressure in a container or the reservoir itself.
Now if the body boy lowers normally while doing this then the cylinder is ok, and it is time to get to work on that valve.
Good luck and as some said always take caution with pressurized or potently pressurized hoses and fittings.

One last note if you install the hose gauge and valve in a manner that makes it possible, then I would leave it in place after you are done (shutting off the valve until I needed to read pressure again to prolong the life of the gauge) If you lift a foot or so and read your gauge with enough loads of known weight while taking note of the pressure, then that pressure will give a rough idea of your weight if you don’t know and want to, the calculations needed to tell exact weight would be complicated, but it would be easy simple and accurate comparison between loads.

Edit If you remove both hoses with the body up and there was no presure on the bottom then the valve is ok and the cylinder likely needs some TLC. I msut piont out also that if this is the case and it HAD been the valve the body would have come slaming down with nothing to slow or stop it, (unless you had a safety stop of some sort some dumps have then installed ands some dont) if you had your body in the wrong place at that time it would not have been good, Just a freindly reminder to be carefull of stored energy in these things and try avoid working alone while doing this kind of work, even a youngster to run and get help is better than being pinned and alone

Wayne

Last edited:
   / Dump Trailer Problem
Very good points on all. I've got the manufacturer sending a new cylinder FREE! If it arrives I got to hand it to Texas Pride Trailers for support. I'll keep everyone posted.

/ Dump Trailer Problem #23  
Very good points on all. I've got the manufacturer sending a new cylinder FREE! If it arrives I got to hand it to Texas Pride Trailers for support. I'll keep everyone posted.

Is that your picture, or the guy that played in the movie Gladiators, and owned all the gladiators?

/ Dump Trailer Problem #26  
I have a Texas Pride dual-acting/dual cylinder dump. My rear hinges have zerks on the inside of the hinges. There are fwo zerks on each side. I'm surprised that your trailer does not have them. Mine were painted over with black paint when I got it. When the bearings start to get dry, they will squawk a bit. Perhaps yours is an economy model without zerks.:confused: Have you called Texas Pride to get some tips on what might be the problem? They have always been very helpful to me.

Just be very careful around that raised bed. There are too many horror stories about people being caught and crushed because they were under a trailer doing hydraulic work and the bed dropped. My trailer doesn't have any supports other than the cylinders, so I don't dare get under it for any reason. Please block yours up to get under there if you are not already doing that.

EDIT: Just read your post about the new cylinder. That's terrific!

/ Dump Trailer Problem #27  
Did the new Cyl. fix you problem?? If so what was wrong with the old one?

/ Dump Trailer Problem
The cylinder came in a couple of days ago but haven't had the time to replace it.

/ Dump Trailer Problem #29  
He said it had TWO hoses!
My power up gravity down dump trailer only has ONE hose. There is no need for two, sounds like they may have put the wrong cylinder config on it.
Where does the other end of the hose connected to the top port, where the rod comes out, go, what is it attached to?

The second hose is to catch any seal leakage past the piston and put it back in the tank that way no contaminants get in the oil and no oil on the ground.

When yours finally blows a seal and the top of the piston is filled with oil it will puke out the breather on the ground when you raises it up.

2 hoses a much better way of plumbing it in my opinion.

tom

/ Dump Trailer Problem
The new cylinder did the trick. Now what to do with the old cylinder????