Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans?

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #1  

PHPaul

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 with cab, Pasquali 986
I have a dump trailer that I built using what I had laying around. It's okay, but it won't lift much because the cylinder is too small, it's direct lift and the geometry is less than optimal.

I want to build my own scissors hoist and go with a shorter stroke but much larger diameter cylinder. I have a bunch of pictures to go by and I've built a wooden mockup powered by an air cylinder that seems to work okay, but I'd REALLY like to have a set of proven plans to go by.

Has anybody dealt with these folks and have input or perhaps another source for plans?

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #2  
My only concern with building one would be the side plates. Make sure they can't bend, twist or move side to side. That site only specs the tilt angle at 35-43 deg. that is marginal I think. I wish my dump trailer would tilt more,the next one will and it will have a scissor hoist instead of a single cylinder.
Have fun, be safe and keep us posted and don't forget to install grease fittings.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #3  
I built a lift based off those plans. To some extent they are the only game in town, so if you really want to build a scissor lift, buy 'em. Overall they are good plans, only some minor things about them that I disagreed with.

lift1.JPG

The lift angle did worry me, so I built a 3D model in SolidWorks, stretched the design out and used a 12" instead of 10" cylinder. Then positioned it on my trailer to give me something absurd like 60 degrees of tilt. I suspect if I built it to the plans exactly, it still would have been fine though.

lift2.JPG

The big downside I found in those plans, was the design of the mounting points. I built it to the plans, and then had to struggle real hard to design matching mount points on my trailer. If I had to do it again, I'd pay real close attention to the mounts, and do them completely differently.

In practice though with it all done, it's works great. With a 3.5" cylinder, it doesn't even notice there is a load in the bed, no matter how heavy. Limiting factor becomes the rating on my tires.

Only other thing I'd say is consider the time factor. The commercial lifts aren't cheap, but a month fab'ing a scissor lift in your spare time isn't cheap either. Definitely not an option for a person in a hurry.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans?
Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.

I'm retired and looking for a Winter puttering project so time is not an issue.

'preciate the input.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #5  
Speaking of dump trailers, mine (7K) is a scissors lift, however like many of them it is a bit underpowered when I may have too much of a weight towards the front of the trailer. I was thinking of adding a small single stage hydraulic cylinder in the front working off the same line the big cylinder is being fed to assist in lifting. Does anyone see any problems with that? The small cylinder would only go up about 12", then be free of the dump.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #6  
Speaking of dump trailers, mine (7K) is a scissors lift, however like many of them it is a bit underpowered when I may have too much of a weight towards the front of the trailer. I was thinking of adding a small single stage hydraulic cylinder in the front working off the same line the big cylinder is being fed to assist in lifting. Does anyone see any problems with that? The small cylinder would only go up about 12", then be free of the dump.
You would have to trig out the mechanical advantage of your scissor lift with the front of the bed 12" up vs down all the way. 12" might not be enough to help you, and make the cycle time slower.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #7  
My dump truck doesn't have a scissor hoist. It's a direct mounted cylinder. I've never had a load it wouldn't dump and I've had 4.5 tons on it. I'd probably take the same approach if it was an 8 foot bed or less.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #8  

I think this is a great idea. If 12" lift in front isn't enough then just move the cylinder back closer to the hoist. So often all a scissor lift type hoist needs is a little help at the beginning. Once you lifted a bit then the main hoist has enough on it's own to take over.

Sounds like the op wants to build his own lift which is fine. Sometimes I like to do things that way too. Around here there are several retired 3 ton trucks that I could easily obtain the hoist off of. So if someone is thinking of doing this and doesn't have the time to build, go for a ride in the country and see what you can find.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans?
Unfortunately, by the time small dump trucks are retired around here, they're pretty much junk. Hoist rusted solid, all bent to heck, or both.

dt6.jpg

I did manage to score the pump and reservoir off one that I used to power the existing dump trailer. I drive it with a 6.5 horse Honda I had laying around.

I'm retired and have a long, cold Winter coming. This is as much about having something to do as it is trying to save a buck.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #10  
I'm retired and have a long, cold Winter coming. This is as much about having something to do as it is trying to save a buck.
Paul,I'm retired as well and always looking for ways to stay busy and maybe save a buck in the deal. Problem I'm having is at the rate I been going I'll have to live to be 101 to finish what I already have in the works. The bright side is with all the money saved, I'll be wealthy. :laughing: