Dump trailer - sticky material stuck!

/ Dump trailer - sticky material stuck! #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Everyone,

So today I loaded up the dump trailer with a mixture of wet peat and grass and hauled it over to the neighbor's who wanted it dumped in his field. I raised the bed all the way up and the material didn't budge an inch. This stuff stuck to the box like glue. We had to use his tractor with a front-end loader to scrape the material out of the box. There has to be a better solution.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've thought about putting a thin layer of sand in the bed first. Also thought about lining the bed with a plastic tarp but that would end up under the material and on the ground when I dump. I might be able to find some UHMW plastic to put on the floor of the bed, but I only have about 4 more loads to dump and I'm looking for something quick and easy to solve this as I won't be hauling anything sticky in the future.

Ideas?

/ Dump trailer - sticky material stuck! #2  
i thought you could spray them down useing a pump sprayer with something....

(i think the asphalt guys use diesel dont they)

/ Dump trailer - sticky material stuck! #4  
If it were me I don't think I'd want diesel in my fill. Is there a way you could secure a tarp? What type of floor is in your trailer? IF it's wood you could try and get some metal for a covering???

/ Dump trailer - sticky material stuck!
Thanks for the ideas guys. I thought about a tarp but when I dump I think the tarp would end up under the material. The neighbor wants to till the peat into his sand and grow corn there next year.

Some kind of spray might work. Just wondering if anyone has tried a spray and can tell me if it works? If it doesn't work, I'm stuck with a load in the trailer that won't come out. :eek:

/ Dump trailer - sticky material stuck! #7  
Thanks for the ideas guys. I thought about a tarp but when I dump I think the tarp would end up under the material. The neighbor wants to till the peat into his sand and grow corn there next year.

Some kind of spray might work. Just wondering if anyone has tried a spray and can tell me if it works? If it doesn't work, I'm stuck with a load in the trailer that won't come out. :eek:

See posts 2,3 & 5 above.

/ Dump trailer - sticky material stuck!
See posts 2,3 & 5 above.

Builder,

I saw those posts and it sounded like a good idea. Thanks. I appreciate your replies.

Mainly what I was wondering is if you (or anyone else) has tried vegetable oil and it worked? It sounds like it "should" work but if it doesn't then I'll have a few thousand pounds of sticky material stuck in my trailer again.

/ Dump trailer - sticky material stuck! #9  
Hi Everyone,

So today I loaded up the dump trailer with a mixture of wet peat and grass and hauled it over to the neighbor's who wanted it dumped in his field. I raised the bed all the way up and the material didn't budge an inch. This stuff stuck to the box like glue. We had to use his tractor with a front-end loader to scrape the material out of the box. There has to be a better solution.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've thought about putting a thin layer of sand in the bed first. Also thought about lining the bed with a plastic tarp but that would end up under the material and on the ground when I dump. I might be able to find some UHMW plastic to put on the floor of the bed, but I only have about 4 more loads to dump and I'm looking for something quick and easy to solve this as I won't be hauling anything sticky in the future.

Ideas?
It's been a good number of years but I used to back haul fly ash back to the mine for a load of coal. (9 cents a mile so you know it was awhile back) The utility would mix the fly ash with water to make it kind of like cookie dough. They had a pile of either sand or way lite (steel slag) on hand for us. We would throw a few shovel fulls around the trailer floor and it would make a big difference. (If you ever had a dump trailer up in the air with a stickly load you know it can be scary)

I would try a little sand (some types are better for the field or garden) or stone dust if you live in an area where the mineral content is helpful.

/ Dump trailer - sticky material stuck! #10  
Would a few sheets of old newspapers be out of the question? They are fairly biodegradeable.

I find that if I jump my dump trailer forward abruptly a time or two it will usually start an avalanche of the stuck contents. In the worst of circumstances I make sure to raise the bed all the way and if able do it with the front of the trailer heading up any available grade.

Pat