Dump trailer vs. utility trailer

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer #21  
I am very familiar with CAM Superline trailers (I live not far from the factory and there are tons of them on the road around here; Bri-Mar is also close to us). You are correct about the sides flipping down but most of those are for side-dump trailers. In that case you are still dumping the material onto the ground. If you need to shovel it off and flip the sides down the deck of the dump trailer is too high to be comfortable (the landscape trailer has a lower deck).

Believe me, if money and towing capacity didn't matter I would argue for the dump trailer too. Based on the info the OP posted I was just trying to point out the benefits of a landscape trailer for his situation (I say "landscape" but also include car trailers in that group).

I just used the CAM picture because it was the first one I found...just an example Lots of manufacturers offer folding sides for conventional rear dump trailers as an option. I know it was an option when I bought my Load Trail, but I can't see ever needing it for what I do.

The deck height shouldn't be too high to shovel/rack out of it...it's going to be higher than a landscape trailer, but still not super high. The deck on mine is 32", but they also offer the low-pro version that has a 25" deck height.

This sort of stuff is why I said there's no perfect trailer in my first reply....they all require a compromise. I'd actually love to have a much smaller utility trailer for when I'm picking up things like tractor implements because it's hard to get them in my cargo trailer (I have done it) and I don't need to pull 4,500lbs of dump trailer for such a small task. :eek:

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer #22  
This sort of stuff is why I said there's no perfect trailer in my first reply....they all require a compromise. I'd actually love to have a much smaller utility trailer for when I'm picking up things like tractor implements because it's hard to get them in my cargo trailer (I have done it) and I don't need to pull 4,500lbs of dump trailer for such a small task. :eek:

I agree with that. Sometimes my son mows for his great-grandfather who lives about 1.5 miles from us. It can be a pain to take our lawn tractor out to his place since I need to load it onto my 16' trailer and I need to be the one to haul it (my son just started driving and I don't let him pull that trailer yet). During those times I wish I had a small trailer that he could hook behind his truck and go without me!

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer #23  
I agree with that. Sometimes my son mows for his great-grandfather who lives about 1.5 miles from us. It can be a pain to take our lawn tractor out to his place since I need to load it onto my 16' trailer and I need to be the one to haul it (my son just started driving and I don't let him pull that trailer yet). During those times I wish I had a small trailer that he could hook behind his truck and go without me!

1.5 miles? I would just drive the mower. It's quicker than hitching up, loading, strapping down, I strapping, and in loading....

Chris

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer #24  

1.5 miles? I would just drive the mower. It's quicker than hitching up, loading, strapping down, I strapping, and in loading....

Chris
Heck, I'd just let the son drive the mower and be done with it. Why get involved?

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer #25  
Heck, I'd just let the son drive the mower and be done with it. Why get involved?
That's what I'm saying. I learned finally, I'm 43 and pretty **** dumb, it's quicker to drive my tractor if it's under 5 miles.

I started off as a Super Trucker with a 30' 25K GN and a diesel dually. Now my 18' BP and a F150 does everything I need and if not I hire it done.

Chris

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer #26  

Chris

Not an option on the roads he would have to take. Just too many blind corners and hills where people drive too fast.
Actually I'm thinking of just buying a cheap lawn tractor and leaving it at my wife's grandfather's house. Then my son can just drive out there and do the lawn whenever it needs it. But the old man is set in his ways and doesn't want us to do that!

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer
During my research, came across this 5x10 single axle:

Hydraulic Dump Trailer 5x10 with Brakes 2 Ft. Sides Roofing Dirt Mulch Rock - SLE Equipment

It's unique in that everything else in this size is tandem with twin 3500lb axles. This one is a single 5200lb axle. The specs are actually a good match for my requirements, but I have a couple of concerns. The hydraulics and battery are under the dump bed, instead of the more common box on the A frame. Seems like it would be more vulnerable to damage, road spray, etc. Also, even though the axle is rated at 5200lbs, I find myself wondering about the tires. Seems like a lot of weight for just two. Do they make 15" tires with that high of a weight rating? Specs on the page are kinda sparse. I'll call them for more info on that.

And has anybody here bought from SLE? I don't know anything about them.

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer #28  
You can get 15" tires in LR E that handle 3K each.

Chris

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer #29  
No way I would get a Single Axle trailer over 3500# though.

Chris

/ Dump trailer vs. utility trailer #30  
What about a tilting equipment trailer? Equipment can be loaded and unloaded very easy and it aides removal of stuff like gravel and mulch.