Dust Mask Recommendations

/ Dust Mask Recommendations #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Anyone find a lightweight dust mask they would recommend? I'm not talking toxic fumes, just grinding dust, attic dust, etc. I have never liked and therefore don't use the paper disposable ones, I would need to wear safety glasses at the same time.

/ Dust Mask Recommendations #4  
I also wear glasses and hate fogging from air coming out around a mask. Any of the ones with the exhale valve help a lot, also gets less dust in around the edges and less moisture built up inside. Grabbed whatever it was the box store had last time I needed them, think they were 3M, worked well. Will see if I still have the box...

/ Dust Mask Recommendations #5  
I’ve tried them all! By far the best mask for general dust (sawdust, attic dust, tractor stirred up dust, pollen, grinding dust) is the Dust Be Gone mask sold at Woodcraft. It’s extremely comfortable, soft, fits under glasses, cool, washable, durable and effective. I recommend them highly! It has membrane sandwiched between two fabric layers, and doesn’t leak around the periphery. You can hand wash it in the sink in just a few seconds and it dries almost instantly! It lasts for years. IMG_0795.JPG

/ Dust Mask Recommendations #7  
I have the Miller one also and it’s pretty good (plus several others from the big box stores). But the Dust Be Gone is by far the most comfortable. Other masks have a rubbery seal touching your face whereas the Dust Be Gone is a soft breathable fabric. You hardly even know you’re wearing it.

/ Dust Mask Recommendations #8  
Beltz - I work in the safety industry. There are tons of approved respirators available both online and in stores. Home Depot, Lowes, Northern, Ace, etc all have them plus paint stores can be another good source like Sherwin Williams, for example. It sounds like you don't like the more basic disposable type, so you may prefer a reusable rubber-type faceseal. They are available in many styles and materials at various price points. The nicest ones tend to be made from silicone rubber but they are pricier. Silicone is a feature, so if it doesn't say silicone, it most likely is not as the manufacturer would want to tout this. Any NIOSH approved filter would do the job for general dust like you are describing, but especially at a retail level you will typically find N95 and P100 filters most commonly (95% efficient and ~100% efficient, respectively).

I believe the Miller one noted above is made from TPR (thermoplastic rubber) which is not as comfortable or durable as silicone but a lot cheaper. I'm not 100% sure but it says "silicone free" so it sure ain't silicone... The problem I have with the Dust Bee Gone and similar masks is that they are unapproved. You have no idea what is does as it meets no real standard like an approved mask does. If it is approved, you know it meets basic standards such as fit, filtration efficiency and that the supporting quality systems to ensure the standards are maintained are in place and monitored. The Dust bee gone seems to have a very loose fit which is probably why people find it so easy breathing - a lot of air will end up leaking around the perimeter and not going through the filter. That creates a false sense of security/protection.

My $0.02...

-Dave

/ Dust Mask Recommendations #9  
As Dave said, get certified ones. The smaller particles actually tend to do more damage than the bigger ones. And the uncertified ones tend to only block the bigger particles, often not even well at that.

/ Dust Mask Recommendations #10