E130 Lawn Mower won’t go uphill except in reverse

/ E130 Lawn Mower won’t go uphill except in reverse
When you say, "I cleaned the carb", what exactly did you do to clean the carb ?

Richard
I took the carburetor off and sprayed it with carb cleaner. Then I wiped it down and reassembled it.

/ E130 Lawn Mower won’t go uphill except in reverse #12  
I took the carburetor off and sprayed it with carb cleaner. Then I wiped it down and reassembled it.
Don't say if you took the carburetor apart and cleaned the parts.. so did you?

Dies how? Just shuts off like you turn the key off? Sputters? Starves for fuel or air?

If it just flat dies like you turned the key off, it may be something like the seat safety switch out of adjustment. Going uphill forward leans you back in the seat a bit and may be moving the seat off the switch. Backing uphill won't have the same effect as you'll be leaning forwards, putting more pressure on it.

If it acts like it's starving for fuel, it could be a fuel filter not passing enough flow.
It sputters and the engine quits. I shorted the seat switch to see if that was it, but it wasn’t.

/ E130 Lawn Mower won’t go uphill except in reverse #15  
Check the fuel supply to see if there is fuel being pumped to the engine.. if not, possible plugged fuel filter or fuel line. Sounds like a fuel issue from the problem description.

/ E130 Lawn Mower won’t go uphill except in reverse #16  
The easiest way to do what beenthere stated is grab 3' of 1/4 fuel line, hook it to the inlet of the pump, drop it in a fuel can w/ fresh clean fuel and give it a run. With the low hours, you could have high moisture from your old fuel. Remove your solenoid from below the carb bowl and catch a sample looking for water. Your new non ethanol won't absorb bits of moisture like the ethanol would.

The easiest way to do what beenthere stated is grab 3' of 1/4 fuel line, hook it to the inlet of the pump, drop it in a fuel can w/ fresh clean fuel and give it a run. With the low hours, you could have high moisture from your old fuel. Remove your solenoid from below the carb bowl and catch a sample looking for water. Your new non ethanol won't absorb bits of moisture like the ethanol would.
Thanks. I will try that.

I tested the fuel pump like you suggested. It appears the new fuel pump is not pumping enough fuel. It was a knock off fuel pump. I ordered a Genuine John Deere fuel pump. I will let you know if it works. Thank you for your suggestion!

/ E130 Lawn Mower won’t go uphill except in reverse #19  
I tested the fuel pump like you suggested. It appears the new fuel pump is not pumping enough fuel. It was a knock off fuel pump. I ordered a Genuine John Deere fuel pump. I will let you know if it works. Thank you for your suggestion!

Hope that this fixes your issue.

But, any idea why a fuel pump would work going in reverse but not work moving forward? Just curious.

MoKelly

/ E130 Lawn Mower won’t go uphill except in reverse #20  
My guess is the fuel level in the tank is above the engine and feeds by gravity, whereas going uphill the fuel pump has to move the fuel up to the engine. Just a guess..