E911 prank call, I thought...

/ E911 prank call, I thought... #1  

MikeD74T

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45S
Tuesday night about 9pm , wife & I just in bed, grandson watching TV (educational video - he's homeschooling) & the doorbell rings. Then it immediately rings a second time??? Pulled my pants on & went to the door - to let in one local LEO & another from the next town. They seemed agitated & asked who lived here & who was currently here. I answered me, wife, & grandson to both questions. Local officer could see my grandson & asked if he was OK??? He said he was & I asked if they were responding to a 911 call. He answered that he was & I said it didn't come from here. Officer stepped past me & directed I stay put. Asked to see my wife who I called to come out of the bedroom. Officer asked if she was OK which she was. The other officer heard something on his radio, spoke to the first officer & they hurriedly left without another word & went down the street with emergency lights on. Wife & I a little disgruntled by the whole thing but figured they got the wrong address from dispatch or something & needed to get to the right address without delay.

Local officer came back last night to appologize & tell us what happened. The 911 call was for our address but came from a Texas cellphone. We're off US1 about 1 1/2 miles. Apparently the callers picked our number off the mailbox, called in a 911 family dispute, watched for the officers to respond off rte. 1 toward our direction , then proceeded to rob the nearby gas station. The call the second officer got was about the robbery.

The officer thought it odd coming to our house because he thought that we were probably ok residents (having been here for 35 years) and a little aprehensive because he had hand delivered both of our concealed carry permits back in December. I was also glad I didn't have .357 in hand when I answered the door. MikeD74T

/ E911 prank call, I thought... #3  
I was also glad I didn't have .357 in hand when I answered the door.

A strange knock on the door in the dark? I'd definitely have the gun handy, probably in my belt if I didn't have a holster on. (Actually, I carry in a holster all the time around home.) There are too many home invasions going on like that.

YMMV

/ E911 prank call, I thought... #4  
Odd story but it really peeves me that some jerks would make prank calls to 911 and waste important resources.

BTW, can't you see out your door at who's knocking?

/ E911 prank call, I thought... #5  
Odd story but it really peeves me that some jerks would make prank calls to 911 and waste important resources.

That wasn't a prank 911 call, it was a diversion to make sure the police were in the wrong place.

They don't have to do that around here, we only have one deputy on duty in the county and he can be 45 minutes away.

/ E911 prank call, I thought... #6  
I am a sergeant with my local police department, and I can't tell you how many times this has happened in the past fifteen years of my career. I understand your frustration at the intrusion, however most states have very strict laws when it comes to domestic violence. In Texas we must not only investigate all calls relating to domestic violence, but they must also be documented. In a situation such as yours, I would ensure my officers correctly explain that there was no problem at your residence, and detail the fact that it was a diversion call for the robbery. As far as having a gun when you answer the door, we half expect law abiding citizens in this state to be armed. If in the future you do approach the door armed, ensure that you have the gun at the low ready, or by your side, and as soon as you can identify them as officers, secure the weapon and step away from it. And by all means, tell the officers about the weapon as soon as you make contact. Just do this in a non-alarming way. I realize that for most good people it is disturbing to have the police enter your home in an accusatory manner, but I promise you that any police officer that is worth his badge will deal with you with respect and understanding. I am very comforted by the fact that the officer later returned and explained the whole situation to yall. He did not have to do this, but it is what I would have done in the same situation.

/ E911 prank call, I thought... #7  
A kid my son knows got in trouble for a "prank" call. Stupid stupid stupid. Did it twice in a few minutes.

It was apparent that it was a prank, to dispatch.

They sent officers out, becuase that is a big no-no. The kid, and the parents, had the whole thing explained in no uncertain terms. He was not charged, but had the fear of his maker put in him.

Your call was not a prank; that is scary that people do that. That was pretty professional that one of the officers came back and explained the situation.

/ E911 prank call, I thought... #8  
It is a common occurrance for (mostly older) cordless phones to malfunction and call 911 when their batteries are weak or dying...also moisture on the lines outside your residence can aslo cause the phones to malfunction...

And what many people do not realize is that if your phone dials 911 and there is no response... you have absolutely NO rights to privacy...the police have the right to enter and search your home without a warrant of any kind...

in most cases if your phone malfunctions and calls 911 they will call the return number and check....but when they get a non responsive 911 call they are coming in and check it out

/ E911 prank call, I thought... #9  
It is a common occurrance for (mostly older) cordless phones to malfunction and call 911 when their batteries are weak or dying...also moisture on the lines outside your residence can aslo cause the phones to malfunction...

And what many people do not realize is that if your phone dials 911 and there is no response... you have absolutely NO rights to privacy...the police have the right to enter and search your home without a warrant of any kind...

in most cases if your phone malfunctions and calls 911 they will call the return number and check....but when they get a non responsive 911 call they are coming in and check it out
Privacy is not the issue...I have yet to find a privacy right in the US Constitution. There is however some pretty specific language about search and seizure, so this "No response to 911" warrantless search authority can be found exactly where in the US Constitution? Or in which state constitution where you allege such authority exists?

/ E911 prank call, I thought... #10  
Or in which state constitution where you allege such authority exists
Just check with your local authorities and see what they have the power to do in the case of non-responsive 911 calls..