EA Root Grapple won’t close

/ EA Root Grapple won’t close #1  

huskyhauler

Tractor
None
I have a root grapple with two lids that has suddenly decided to no longer close. Was working fine one moment, then it just stopped closing. 3rd function trigger clicks when I try to close the lids, which maybe go down a couple of inches, but quickly fully opens without drama.
Theres no signs of anything leaking or untoward around the cylinder, I’ve tried unplugging and reattaching the hydraulic hoses and checked the fluid levels. FEL arms operate normally.

Any suggestions?

/ EA Root Grapple won’t close #2  
I guess my suggestion would be to eliminate either the grapple or the tractor out of the equation.
I'd probably get a bucket and safely release the pressure manually from the grapple quick connectors, and see if the lids closed. Depending on the design, you might need someone to try to press the lid closed with the quick connect opened so the fluid will drain out. At least that'd tell you which piece of equipment the problem is in.

/ EA Root Grapple won’t close #3  
Sounds like either the 3rd function solenoid or the valve isn't working or the hose coupler for the "open" direction isn't allowing flow to reverse.

Try reversing the hoses and see if it will close, you may have to swap couplers if one is male and the other is female.

If still fails, Reach out to EA, they can give you complete diagnostics to perform.

/ EA Root Grapple won’t close #4  
No expert here but sounds like a stuck valve to me. Either due to solenoid not switching properly or junk jammed in the valve/line.
Maybe, and this is just top of the head thinking...... if you relieve the pressure in the hydraulics using the FEL (like if you're disconnecting lines)
could you push the lids closed? Would at least rule out something mechanical with the lids.

/ EA Root Grapple won’t close
Thanks all, that gives me something else to try.