Eagles

/ Eagles #101  
The Eagles like to feast on fresh kill, healthy or injured snakes, voles, mice, etc.

All I gotta do is turn on the Discbine and all the hunters come running. Foxes, Coyotes, hawks, eagles, buzzards, etc.

/ Eagles #102  
Heres a few of Bald Eagles while I was haying. They do kind of look right at you. Sorry about picture quality, I-phone was zoomed and tractor cab glass is dirty. :laughing:

Nice looking hay crop!

/ Eagles #104  
Great story. Yes, if you have had an Eagle look you in the eye at close range you won't forget it. Reminds me of the old cartoon drawing of the Eagle zooming in for the kill on the mouse. He's staring death in the eyes and flipping him off. :)

I recall that cartoon; saw it as a poster somewhere...maybe in a bar...the caption was something like " The last futile act of defiance".

/ Eagles #105  
Interesting from Ben Franklin:

“ Franklin’s lament of the choice of bald eagle comes from a letter he wrote in 1784. He was remarking upon the medal of the Society of the Cincinnati, which representatives of the new nation were taking to France to bestow upon those who had helped in the American Revolution. The medals depicted a bald eagle that some people thought looked more like a turkey. The suggestion sent Franklin into a thorough drubbing of the eagle’s merits as a symbol. He called it “a Bird of bad moral Character” that “does not get his Living honestly.” “

You may have seen him perch’d on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk [Osprey]; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.
Sick burn, Franklin! Stealing food out of a baby’s mouth! Got anything else?

Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District.

Last edited:
   / Eagles
I believe it's the unique appearance of the bird rather than it's moral character that got it selected.

Similar to the Bluebird which is the Missouri State Bird. Nothing unique about it at all except it's plumage.

Which woman did you most intently study on the old TV show Beverly Hillbillies?

/ Eagles #107  
I believe it's the unique appearance of the bird rather than it's moral character that got it selected.

Similar to the Bluebird which is the Missouri State Bird. Nothing unique about it at all except it's plumage.

Granny? :)

Ohio's state bird : Cardinal. Same reason I'm sure.

/ Eagles #108  

Cousin Pearl

Bea Benaderet - Wikipedia

/ Eagles #109  

I guess Benjamin Franklin judges birds not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

/ Eagles