Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox??

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #21  
Yes, the ones linked to by bunick and bigfoot are the right tools. I used one of those for a rear axle back in the days when whale oil was considered the mandatory thing for limited slip rear ends. ('73 Chrysler...) HOWEVER, as someone else said I gotta believe there is a drain plug somewhere -- be it one of the mounting bolts, a normal looking separate drain plug or even a slot-headed screw-in plug. Has to be one somewhere.

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #22  
Mine is made by "Alemite" but for the purpose of this discussion I use something similar to this one. (since you're all posting HF links I searched and this is nearest). 2.3 gal. Manual Fluid Extractor :thumbsup:

Oil Extract HF.jpg

So useful for so many tasks. Sucks oil from your engine up through the dipstick tube. Just get your engine nice and warm so the oil flows easily.
In the mower gearbox you can angle the tube into the corner and gets nearly the last drop.

Small engines where you get dribbles by tipping oil or draining across the chassism the mess is prevented by sucking out of the fill tube.

They even store the oil until you can get around to disposing of it.

Different diameter tubes for different jobs. Good, also, for vacuuming the water from the bottom of your fuel tank.

:2cents:

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #25  
Turkey baster solved lots of fluid related issues.

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #26  
Battery water filler works good too. Ideal for removing that last bit of water out of the toilet tank when you go to replace the fill valve.

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #27  
I removed the faceplate, found that condensation had contaminated and turned the oil to a thick white paste stuck everywhere but on the gears. Cleaned, reinstalled faceplate and filled with oil per manual.

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #28  
I always figured the easiest way to get the oil out of the gearbox,
was to lose a seal or crack the gearbox housing,

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #29  
I always figured the easiest way to get the oil out of the gearbox,
was to lose a seal or crack the gearbox housing,

It is of course. It's also the best way to start a leak. How often do you pull an anything that has a gasket and none of it tears out::(? Me if I'm lucky I see on every year or so, maybe. Of course a drain would be nice but the companies price point as always comes first!

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #30  
You guys never made a "suck bucket"?? Take a wet/dry vac.. hook the main hose on a 5 gal bucket spout.. now get a smaller hose, 5/16" or smaller depending on what kinda room you have in the sucking area.. poke a small hole in the lid of the 5 gal bucket & insert the smaller hose..
The vaccum from the wet/dry vac will cause a vaccum in the 5 gal bucket, therefore sucking at the end of the 5/16' hose..
ALL the liquid ends up in the 5 gal bucket & not in the wet/dry vac....
Its good for all sorts of things.. Try it, it works..