Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #81  
At least now we learn the purpose of those inverted V. Shaped pallet structures. Given new meaning to the term "CAT HOUSE"

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #82  
So the pallets and the cougar are on cahoots, hmmm...

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #83  
   / Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #84  
Yes, we see them from time to time too. My sister's had some of her goats taken this last fall, the tracks looked like a nice sized cat.

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #85  
Or less. I致e got 2x4s with bark on 4 sides.

There are too many jobs at stake. With so many paper mills closed in Maine now (145 in 1947 to 6 today), they now take saw logs down to 4 inches!

In a way it is good. If they did not do that, a lot of wood that formerly went for pulp wood (to make paper) would be left rotted in the woods.

One assumes that it is a waste, but the truth is, every tree...no matter how big at the bottom, has a smaller end at the top. Its good to use that end for SOMETHING!

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #86  
Yes, we see them from time to time too. My sister's had some of her goats taken this last fall, the tracks looked like a nice sized cat.

Cat is not not as much a misnomer for the cougar as the term ''mountain lion'' can be, same thing for the Florida panther...not a panther at all

Cougars belong to the felinae genus alongside lynx, ocelot , house cats etc

Lions , tigers and jaguars aka BIG CATS are the pantera genus meaning they can roar and have a much larger head (and jaw) in relation to the size of their body.

Average weight for a male cougar is 130 lbs, female 95 lbs...contrast it with male lions 500 to 600, Siberian tigers are even larger .

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #87  
I did not know that. It would be pretty scary to to see a 500lb+ cougar roaring at you on the trail. I don't think, looking "big" would help much in that case. :shocked:

/ Eastern Mountain Lion Declared Extinct #88  
The cougar (Puma concolor), also commonly known as the mountain lion, puma, panther, or catamount, is a large felid of the subfamily Felinae native to the Americas. Its range, from the Canadian Yukon to the southern Andes of South America, is the greatest of any large wild terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere.