Easy smoked cheeses

/ Easy smoked cheeses #11  
Didn't know these existed. Thanks for posting.

/ Easy smoked cheeses #13  
I liked smoked cheese, but I've never tried cooking it. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to cooking it!

/ Easy smoked cheeses
I bought me a smoking tube after reading this thread. Works real good for cheese or to add smoke to what your grilling.

The photo is Gouda smoking in Pitboss apple wood pellets.

View attachment 670217

I like the way you cut the Gouda into wedges. Everything I've read recommends rectangular pieces. Do you notice any difference in the smoke's flavor intensity from the thin to thick end?

/ Easy smoked cheeses #15  
No, I don't notice any difference.

/ Easy smoked cheeses
Cheese smoking time is here early in California-tomorrow's early temps in my neighborhood will be in the mid 30s. Will start around 5:00 a.m. and run for 2-1/2 hours. Everything is ready. Couldn't find my best cheese, Gouda- all of them were already smoked and flavored with this and that crap. Weber Kettle on!
Results/photos to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_4076.JPG
    IMG_4076.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 131
   / Easy smoked cheeses
Started at 5:00am, 34 degrees on the porch, finished at 7:30am. Parchment wrapped and in the fridge for two weeks to steep/age/savor the flavor and then out just in time for Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4086.JPG
    IMG_4086.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 132
   / Easy smoked cheeses #18  
Nice! . . .

/ Easy smoked cheeses #19  
I smoked eight half pound blocks of assorted cheeses early this week. Makes good Christmas gifts. Tomorrow I plan to smoke about ten pounds of table salt. I use a smoke tube and apple wood pellets for cheese or salt. Smoke the salt for about eight hours, in shallow pans, stirring about every hour or so. My wife won't use plain salt any more. Many of my produce customers ask for a pound of smoked salt. It's a cheap bonus. BTW, I use Morton pickling and canning salt. It comes in four pound boxes.

/ Easy smoked cheeses #20  
I do salt on screens. I use the splatter screens my wife has for her pans to put the salt on so that the smoke can penetrate somewhat better. The mesh is very tight so as long as you have a coarse grind salt it works fine. Besides, Im lazy and dont want to stir it even if it is just nonce an hour.