Eaves and gutter heat cable

/ Eaves and gutter heat cable #1  

joeyd

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM 353HST
I have had a couple of significant ice dams this winter that I think was on account of my ridge vent being buried under 2 feet of snow. The icicles seemed to stop growing after I cleared the ridge but the dams were already there. Has anyone had good luck with heat cables that you install in your gutters and zig zag about 2 feet on your eaves? Do they draw a lot of electricity ie increase your bill significantly? Do you leave them on all winter or just during storms to prevent ice build up? Finally, I noticed some have an optional thermostat to turn them on/off when needed, does it really work?

20161230_120155_1485214418523_resized.jpg

/ Eaves and gutter heat cable #2  
Subscribed to this thread..

/ Eaves and gutter heat cable #3  
I had that problem at one time took me a couple years to get it down pat. I don't think it was expensive to run didn't notice any big spike in the elec. bill. In the end I ran one the full length of the gutters and down the down spouts to a ft. or so below ground level as well as the loops on the roof. You cannot allow them to cross each other at least if you do they should not touch or they burn out. That was my experience the first year. I haven't had any for 4 or 5 years now took them down for some shingle work never put them back because the cause of the ice build up has been rectified.

/ Eaves and gutter heat cable #4  
I installed heating cable on my roof, it seemed to work to prevent Ice dams but not icecicles. Inspect you attic insulation, air sealing, and cold air ventillation to all be sufficient.

/ Eaves and gutter heat cable #5  
Your conditioned air is melting your roof. Fix that first. There's a real science to insulating a house, and there's a lot of reading out there.

I have the wires on my gutters on my house in Steamboat. There used to keep the water moving down the gutters instead of freezing and creating a bunch of ice weight in the gutters.

/ Eaves and gutter heat cable #6  
I installed heater cable over my 2nd floor windows (dormer style). I would get ice buildup after heavy snows due to the small roof extension over the windows. The heat cable has worked well and has eliminated the ice/ice-sickles. I have it on a timer and turn it on as the snow is starting, and keep it on at night until the snow diminishes from that area. In my case it has worked very well. Since the roof was redone (25 years) and ice shield was added to the roof edges. The heat cord was re-installed and I still use it with snow.

paul

/ Eaves and gutter heat cable
Your conditioned air is melting your roof. Fix that first. There's a real science to insulating a house, and there's a lot of reading out there.

I have the wires on my gutters on my house in Steamboat. There used to keep the water moving down the gutters instead of freezing and creating a bunch of ice weight in the gutters.

I agree about the attic air melting my roof that is why I dug out my ridge vent to cool the attic. I do not have gable vents on the house and was wondering about adding one on each end in case my ridge vent gets buried again. It isn't too difficult for me to get up there but it sure makes my wife nervous to have me on the roof. We have had a few friends and friends of friends who have gotten pretty banged up falling while shoveling the roof or messing with Christmas lights.

/ Eaves and gutter heat cable #8  
I think gable vents in conjunction with a ridge vent is a big no no. I have read that it causes a significant disruption in airflow in the attic.

/ Eaves and gutter heat cable #9  
Soffit vents work hand in hand with a ridge vents. They only work if your goal is a cold roof. Cold roofs are better in cold environments to prevent ice dams and icicles. Gable vents are ok to have as they let out hot air in the summer time, but they should be closed off in the winter.