ebay snow plow

/ ebay snow plow #1  

AaronS

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4046HC, New Holland Boomer 1020
   / ebay snow plow #2  
Looks well made;the only thing I don't like is that it has no up/down float,you would have to float the FEL.
I plow gravel roads and drives and need the plow to float.

/ ebay snow plow
Thanks. Our drive is gravel also, and I'm currently cleaning it with the bucket, with the FEL in float mode.

/ ebay snow plow #4  
I looked at the plow which seems to be well built. Only thing I see may be a weak point is the bracket the holds the skid shoe. From the picture it doesn't look too strong.

/ ebay snow plow #5  
Does anyone have this unit? If so, is it heavy duty enough to last or will it bend/break/wear out in short order? It seems like a great price for a plow that's already set up for a tractor loader with skid steer quick attach, as well as a hydraulic cylinder to adjust the angle. Plus American made!

New 96" 8' Snow Plow Skid Steer Loader Quick Attach Bobcat Tractors John Deere | eBay

It doesn't look like there is any provision for lateral float (one side higher than the other side tilting the plow) and so any uneven lateral load will go into your loader as a twist. Also make certain it has oy you add a blow-off valve in case you high something that really doesn't move, the plow can give. Prince is a good one.

Also find out what size of skid shoes it takes. Thier's looks small. Everybody sells shoes, you just want to make sure what you can buy will fit. Not a deal breaker as you can add your own skid shoes too as bolt on or weld on kits.

wssb5.jpg

Before you buy, you should take a look at crags list for name brand, used plows on sale.

/ ebay snow plow #6  
IMO the custom plows are kind of a rip-off. Though the one posted looks well-built and heavy duty.

There are a ton of Western plows that have been converted to SSQA (as well as other brands). The advantage is they're pretty proven designs, the parts like the swing cylinders/pins/etc. are available locally in almost every snow area, and having a common attachment you can find a replacement blade pretty easy (and quite inexpensively without the mount!)

Mine uses a chain for float on the skid steer, but if you roll out it "catches" and you can provide downforce too.

/ ebay snow plow #7  
I think that plow looks cheap. Look at how the skid shoes are mounted on it. I think the would be easy to tear off. The skids also look small. It also looks like it has a cheap cutting edge. I think the Bobcat snowplows are a very nice plow for the money. I think a 7' would be a good match for your tractor. With the weight of the loader and the weight of the plow riding on the ground it is hard to keep them from digging in. I'm not that big of a fan of FEL snow plows unless they float at the QA.

/ ebay snow plow #8  
Agree with the skid shoe comments. They look too lightly attached. The wear edges are different on the black and yellow blades. The yellow blade edge is straight. The edge on the black one looks a little more rigid with the bend in it. It would be hard to know what yours would look like if the seller shows different blades on the ad. Price is low enough.

/ ebay snow plow #9  
It's not a snow plow it's a snow blade. Watch the video on the link in the ebay ad. On a plow the snow will roll off the blade, letting you stack snow higher than moldboard height.

The curvature on the ebay blade does not allow the snow to roll, it can only slide down the length of the blade. Snow also builds up excessively ahead of the blade because it is unable to exit the blade fast enough. This can also lead to pushing the front end around, especially after you have established windrows of packed snow along your drive.

Like others have said there is no lateral float which IMHO is a "must have" for a plow. I would look for a plow that rolls the snow, a crossover relief valve and a spring setup in case you hit something. I would also make sure there was a replaceable/reversible cutting edge.

Good luck in your search!

/ ebay snow plow
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I don't live an area that sees a lot of snow, so I don't see a lot of plows on local Craigslist, especially plows that are SSQA. I messed up a year ago when I didn't jump on one that was set up perfectly about 2.5 hours north of me for $850.