Echo 590 or the X Series?

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #11  
In closing, I did contact Echo corporate about the air cleaner element issue. I'd like to see them go to a pleated or oiled foam air cleaner on the 590 instead of the one they provide presently. Will see how that plays out. Red Beard sells an aftermarket oiled foam replacement but it's pretty pricey. Be better if Echo just did it themselves as there is ample room under the shroud to fit one.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #12  
I also have a CS590 Timber Bear with a 20" bar and it's a very competent saw and I'm 99% happy with it. I did do some modifications to it however. I removed the top baffle plate on the muffler (retained the spark arrestor) and 'O' ringed the intake stub as well as an 'O' ring on the air cleaner stud because the stick flocked air cleaner will pass fines so I eliminated that issue.

I run all my saws on canned fuel, never gasoline from a gas pump and I use the Echo Red Armor 50-1 canned fuel. I like it because it's shelf life is 5 years. No draining the saws when sitting for a prolonged period anymore.

IMO, 2 pounds difference in inconsequential when comparing price.

I did pull the limiter caps on the carb but in reality, Echo tends to set their carbs a bit rich from the factory so I've never changed the settings.

Nice saw IMO and it comes with a greaseable roller nose bar as well.

I also have their top handle arborist saw with a 12" bar for cutting up limbs and a venerable Stihl 028 I bought at least 40 years ago and it also likes the canned fuel.

For the price difference between Stihl and Echo, I'll be sticking with Echo from here on out.

Glad you like your Echo trimmers, I'm needing to replace my tired ancient Stihl FS66 and your comment is going to have me buy and Echo this time around.
If it helps your decision with the Echo trimmer, I bought the 2620 this summer and it is awesome. Also have the PB8010 backpack blower that is a beast. I've been wanting to upgrade my saw and hearing the 590 is $419 is tempting.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #13  
I have several Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws that are nickel and diming me to death. They are in the shop, or impossible to start. I'm sure it's because I've been using cheap gasoline in them, but they are all well over a decade old and I really want something new. I have an Echo pole saw that's awesome and an Echo weed eater that been great. I like how much easier they have been to start compared to other brands that I've owned.

Home Depot has the CS-590 with a 20 inch bar on sale for $419 right now. That's what I'm planning on buying.

I just noticed that there is also the X Series available with the same size engine and bar that looks just about identical, but it's $630 for the CS-620

So far, all I've been able to see on significant difference is the X Series is 2 1/2 pounds lighter then the 590. While that's significant, I don't think it's worth $200 more. Am I wrong? Is there something else that I should know about the X Series?

My biggest priority is that I can get it started when I want to use it. For now on, I'm planning to buy gasoline without ethanol in it. There is a few gas stations that sell it now. They have a separate nozzle on the other side just for gas without ethanol, kind of like how there is gas on one side and diesel on the other side.
Where are you seeing it for $419 with the 20 inch bar? Not that I would buy it from Home Depot but when I ask my local dealer to price match I will need a link most likely. Thanks!

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #14  
620 is worth the 150-200 price difference. JMO.

Stock 620 cylinder is hot out of box so to speak. If porting cylinders wont matter. 620 has better carb, coil, clutch drum for rims, handle etc.

PHO dry weights are the same.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #15  
They weigh close to same. Just ounces different due to upgraded parts.

e590weight.JPG

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #16  
Are they still using those little tiny fuel cap threads, or is that cap deceivingly larger than it looks? One of the things I found really frustrating about my older Echo's was their fuel and oil filler holes were so small and poorly located that they required a funnel to fill without spilling, especially when using No-Spil brand cans or pouring from a gallon jug of bar oil. Figured they would've caught up with the leading brands on that by now, it's such an easy thing to fix, but those filler caps look awful small.

Of course this doesn't affect the saw's performance, but it can make you love it a lot less.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #17  
Are they still using those little tiny fuel cap threads, or is that cap deceivingly larger than it looks? One of the things I found really frustrating about my older Echo's was their fuel and oil filler holes were so small and poorly located that they required a funnel to fill without spilling, especially when using No-Spil brand cans or pouring from a gallon jug of bar oil. Figured they would've caught up with the leading brands on that by now, it's such an easy thing to fix, but those filler caps look awful small.

Of course this doesn't affect the saw's performance, but it can make you love it a lot less.
Has it been close to 30-40 years since you owned or bought a echo?

This is just the 50cc echo and uses same size caps as husky uses all the way up to their 118cc saw. Oil and fuel shown

But ya even husky, partner, poulan all used that small cap on oil caps from what I recall many years back.

e490f.jpg
e490fffff.jpg
e490ffff.jpg

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #18  
Owned one of those ones like you talk about. Was the oil cap at rear. Think fuel and oil were opposites too.

Even like my later one in grey were opposites but normal size. If I recall right. Oil cap was at rear too but normal.

I've had older stihls come in with the orange echo caps in them.

e280.JPG
e340.jpg

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #19  
It may just be my CS-590 but I find if I give the starter cord a yank when the switch is off, it'll flood like crazy and absolutely will not start any time soon without pulling the plug and letting everything dry out.

I've gotten really good at a pre-flight checkout including "turn that damn switch on", and then it always starts on the second pull.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #20  
I have NO issue filling either of my Echo's or even the Stihl. All the opening fuel and oil appear to be the same size pretty much. I will say the top handle arborist saw don't require much fuel so I use one of those 1 gallon plastic fuel cans with the EPA approved spout so I don't pizz fuel all over the place. Same with the bar oil on the little saw. I use a 85-140 repurposed gear oil bottle filled with bar oil to fill it.