Echo chainsaw won't tight chain

/ Echo chainsaw won't tight chain #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
I had to bring my Echo chainsaw in under warranty a few months ago because the tightening screw was stripped. After it was fixed I made sure to be careful not tighten it too much.
Today the chain was loose and the screw would tighten anymore.
I'm wondering if I am doing anything wrong? I'm going to bring it in today to have it look at but I really don't want to have to shut down my chores because of this.
I guess I might need to buy a second chainsaw as a backup.

/ Echo chainsaw won't tight chain #2  
What model? I just bought a 051 I think. Are you talking the hand knob?

/ Echo chainsaw won't tight chain #3  
No need to buy a 2nd saw.. just get a tutorial on the proper way to do it.. & buy an extra chain..
Some of those videos on u tube might help.??
I learned a thing or 2 by just reading the instructions on the package my new chain came in.!!

/ Echo chainsaw won't tight chain
Update: I brought the chainsaw into local dealer and he showed me with a new chain that my existing chain was stretched. I believe what is happening is that by not cleaning the bar of the chainsaw enough oil isn't getting to the chain for lubrication and cooling thereby causing the chain to heat and stretch. He also replaced the chain gear that was wearing (probably due to oil deficiency.)

I still might buy an additional chainsaw as if I'm going to spend 2-3 hrs cutting I don't want to have to stop for adjustments and sharpening.

/ Echo chainsaw won't tight chain #5  
Update: I brought the chainsaw into local dealer and he showed me with a new chain that my existing chain was stretched. I believe what is happening is that by not cleaning the bar of the chainsaw enough oil isn't getting to the chain for lubrication and cooling thereby causing the chain to heat and stretch. He also replaced the chain gear that was wearing (probably due to oil deficiency.)

I still might buy an additional chainsaw as if I'm going to spend 2-3 hrs cutting I don't want to have to stop for adjustments and sharpening.

Does the saw have an adjustable oiler? I have never cleaned a bar in my life and never had this issue, The chain should stretch a little when new after a couple of tanks of fuel..

/ Echo chainsaw won't tight chain #6  
The chains tension needs to be adjusted through the course of the day, and certainly when you replace a chain. The bars channel also needs to be cleaned out on a regular basis. I only do that when the chain is being replaced.

Last edited:
   / Echo chainsaw won't tight chain #7  
additional chainsaw

I don't sharpen my chains as the local shop does a great job for only $5 and is right behind the grocery store of the same name.
Instead, I have three chains for each of my saws; I've found that lets me have plenty of fun without stopping much and if I only go into town once a week I'm usually OK on sharpness.

(Of course, I'm an intermittent sawyer; if I used my saws much more I'd probably start sharpening my own.)

/ Echo chainsaw won't tight chain #8  
Are you loosening the bar nuts before adjusting the chain adjuster? Otherwise the adjuster has to work a lot harder and will strip.

I have multiple additional chains for all my saws so I can just put on a new sharp chain and keep working if one goes dull in the middle of a job. Unfortunately, frequent chain adjustments are part of the deal. I use the chain adjuster every time I change or sharpen a chain, which is at most every 2 tanks of fuel. I also clean the bar out and turn it over to even out the wear every 2 tanks or when I sharpen the chain.

When I was running a saw 8 hours a day I adjusted the chain at least once a day. Then and now I carry a T tool with me.

/ Echo chainsaw won't tight chain #9  
If this helps. Here is photos of the bars clutch cover and chain guide being cleaned out today. Of course this is a pole saw, but its the same. In the 1st photo, note the clutch cover covered with debris. Then cleaning. The bar oil holes also need to be cleaned, after the chain guide was cleaned.

Attachments

• sawworks7.jpg
    sawworks7.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 206
  • sawworks6.jpg
    sawworks6.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 184
  • sawworks5.jpg
    sawworks5.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 198
  • sawworks4.jpg
    sawworks4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 191
  • sawworks3.jpg
    sawworks3.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 210
  • sawworks1.jpg
    sawworks1.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 208
  • P1060794.jpg
    P1060794.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 180
  • sawworks.jpg
    sawworks.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 196
   / Echo chainsaw won't tight chain #10  
For a 2nd saw, 501p Echo is not bad, I bought one 4 months ago, it's a good saw so far, has adjustable oilier so it can put out all the oil I need and then some. A 2nd saw is almost a necessity.