Economy PTO.

/ Economy PTO. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
The M7060 we just got has Economy PTO. To engage, you move a lever at the rear of the tractor. Doing so gives 540 rpm on the PTO at approx 1800 engine rpm (vs. the normal ~2200 engine rpm).

I understand that this setting is designed for situations whereby the PTO is way over powered for the task at hand. For example, were I to hook a 4' cutter to this tractor, EPTO would be more than sufficient.

I have read another poster that uses his (same tractor) EPTO for wood chipping and stump grinding.

How should an operator determine when to use EPTO and when not to?

We cut the grass around the cabin every week or two weeks. Therefore it is never very long or heavy. I'm assuming this would be a good EPTO task. On the other hand, we cut the fields twice/year. I'd think normal PTO would be most appropriate for thick, tall grass.

I'm interested in what others think and how they use EPTO with their tractors.

Thanks.

/ Economy PTO. #2  
Technically EPTO is for fuel saving -- not so much power reduction.

But yes, you can use it to reduce the power without limiting the PTO speed. It can be handy.

Those operators are smart... they are limiting the power of tasks that the tractor could otherwise bust the implement.

/ Economy PTO. #3  
I've used it with a 12' batwing in light grass about a foot tall with no issues.

/ Economy PTO. #5  
. . . I'm interested in what others think and how they use EPTO with their tractors. . .

On my 85hp JD tractor, I use the 540E PTO setting for everything except the hay baler.

Your tractor will tell you if it's not right. ie: you will bog the engine in E mode.

/ Economy PTO. #6  
Agree with the others I use the E mode for most of the pto work I do brush hogging, tedding, sickle bar mower, generator any thing that I don't need full power for
and throttle down and save fuel and noise.

/ Economy PTO. #7  
EPTO is intended to reduce fuel consumption and wear and tear on the engine.

I use EPTO most of the time on my M9960 with a HD Woods BB840X 7' rotary cutter. I can operate the engine at around 1,700 RPM which operates the PTO at around 600 RPM, which is about right for most of my mowing chores.

That said, I mow about as fast as my mowers will cut well (600 PTO RPM provides higher blade tip speed allowing higher ground while, at the same time, increasing engine RPM a bit, resulting in a bit more HP) and there are times when I cannot pull the 7' cutter in heavy cover at the ground speed that I want to maintain while in EPTO.

I plan to replace the 7' cutter with a 15' BW within the next year. Once I do that, I expect that it will never again see EPTO.

SDT

/ Economy PTO. #9  
I have it on my t4.75. Used it to finish mow. Did fine. Opted for regular PTO bush hogging last week. Area was overgrown. You will like it. On my t4.75 you have to change it with the engine off.

/ Economy PTO.
Thanks for the info, guys. The assistance this place provides is always appreciated.