ehydro steering brakes?

/ ehydro steering brakes? #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
Has anyone been in a situtation where they needed to use the steering brakes on their JD ehydro? I was trying to cut off an ice coating on a blacktop road today with the 390 front blade on my JD3520 and breifly tried to steer with the left brake because I had the front tires slightly off the pavement to get the max down pressure on the cutting edge and the steering brake didn't seem to be too effective at helping to steer me to the left. The only other time I used the steering brake was hen I just tested it in my yard and it seemed not to work very well in 2 wheel drive,but did OK in 4 wheel drive with the front wheels pulling to make the turn. Anyone else have similar experience with the individual brakes?

/ ehydro steering brakes? #2  
Steering brakes work best when pulling a load from the drawbar. The leverage factor from pushing something with the FEL is a lot to overcome by braking one rear wheel. I have tried to do what you are describing. It does help a little but not much. I think the best thing you can do is stop going forward, lift the bucket until the wheels are back on the ground, backup and turn the front of the tractor towards the direction you want to go and start over again. I have the same problem when I am scraping ice off of my driveway. The outer edge of the driveway has more ice then the middle. As I go forward with the bucket tilted down and down pressure applied it tends to go towards the outside where the ice is thicker.

/ ehydro steering brakes? #3  
I don't have ehydro, but I think the brakes still work non-e. When pushing snow with the FEL or with the BB going backwards, I sometimes lose direction control with the steering. Applying the proper brake will steer it (weird going backwards; have to apply the opposite one).

It's the ONLY way to steer if you've applied down pressure with the FEL and have taken the front wheels slightly off the ground. Even with the FEL on float, the front wheels occasionally hit a slick spot. Hitting a brake in the direction you want to go makes it go that way. True, if there's too much of a load in front or if the rears don't have that good traction, hitting a brake may not be as effective.

Ralph

/ ehydro steering brakes?
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to play around a little bit with them today to see just what they will and will not do. I know on my old JD 870 geared tractor they worked the way I expected them too. No matter if it was in 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. I've had a front flat tire on the 870 and ran it in reverse for a 1/2 mile with the front bucket on the ground to lift the flat tire off the ground and steering it all the way home with the split brakes.From what I've seen the ehydro isn't going to do that. I'm not that impressed with the brakes on the ehydro 3520 not that you need them for anything.The holding power of the parking brake is lacking for sure.

/ ehydro steering brakes? #5  
Here is a question, What are steering brakes? I have a 3203, same frame size as the 3520 but my dealer didn't tell me anything about steering brakes. Possibly the economy model 3203 doesn't have them?

Matt

Mathew, if you look at your brake pedals and there is a piece of metal the is on a pin so that you can swing it up and that seperates the two pedals so they can be worked seperately. Hence stepping on one or the other and locking up one wheel cause the tractor to skid steer and turn sharper.

I tried the steering brakes on my 3520 and the right side is way better than the left. Also on the snow the steering brakes where ineffective in 2 wheel drive because the opposite side just spun,but they worked OK in 4 wheel drive. The left brake pedal went clear to the floor when depressed and didn't have near the holding power as the right side. Is this the way all of them are or is it just my tractor? I guess now I have to try and test drive one at the dealer.

/ ehydro steering brakes? #8  
3320 here with ehydro. My brakes work fine. When used independently for steering, both pedals (compared to each other) travel about the same distance, have the same resistance, and have the same amount of braking force. I can lock either wheel if I press hard enough. Of course this is not the case if the differential lock is engaged. In my experience (I'm in 4wd 99% of the time) using the brakes to turn more sharply is effective and I use it, mainly to miss bumping into something like a tree while in the woods and the spacing is tight. Like I said, I can lock up either tire if I want to. However, dragging a locked tire does not help turn as much as letting it roll (kind of like ABS stops you faster than a locked wheel). In some cases, if the soil I'm on is loose, and I'm on a slope and trying to brake the uphill wheel (less weight on the uphill wheel), there may not be enough traction (I have the large R4 tires) to do much additional steering. I have not yet found a case where it hasn't helped at all though, and usually it's quite effective.

When driving at high speeds it's suggested to keep the brakes tied together.

dirtworksequip: Sounds like something is wrong with your left brake. I can't press either brake pedal to the floor.

My Parking brake holds well too. Have had it in neutral on a steep hill and the tractor stays put.

/ ehydro steering brakes? #9  
dirtworksequip said:
I tried the steering brakes on my 3520 and the right side is way better than the left. Also on the snow the steering brakes where ineffective in 2 wheel drive because the opposite side just spun,but they worked OK in 4 wheel drive. The left brake pedal went clear to the floor when depressed and didn't have near the holding power as the right side. Is this the way all of them are or is it just my tractor? I guess now I have to try and test drive one at the dealer.
Check out that left brake. Do you normally keep the brake pedals locked together? If so they should wear evenly, so your situation puzzles me. ~~ Maybe they have always been adjusted differently, and since the pedals were locked you just didnt notice. If this has been the case the one doing the work is well seated in, while the other is almost totally unworn and hence not seated. This would make its action less efficient, and just might fit the whole scenario you sketched.

Also, the independent brakes will work better for steering if you set your rears out. Better leverage.
Larry

Thanks for the input. I'll have to check out the linkage and adjustment of the left side. Thats the first time I really messed with the brakes split. I normally run with the pedals locked together. We had some freezing rain and I was trying to cut the thick ice off some blacktop and the steering brakes would have come in handy. Very rarely did I ever use them on my old JD870 except to get the front end up hill in wet muddy conditions. Thanks again.