electric base board heater question

/ electric base board heater question #11  
Single pole thermostats do not have off written on them since you are only shutting off 1 leg and the other leg is still hot,double pole thermostats shut off both legs and are marked off this is a UL requirement.
low voltage thermostats tied into relays are used when people do not want to here the clicking of the thermostat or the load is to large for the line voltage thermostats or when different day night temps are needed or other energy saving programing.

/ electric base board heater question
I Had a simple thermostat installed before it started going a lilttle crazy. It would turn off when i lowered the thermostat but it would not keep the temp that i set it at. So i bought a digital thermostat that would allow me to set it for night and day temps. Im still having the same issue with it.
We used a space heater all last year to keep the room warm.

I called an electrician, he will be coming out in the next week. he also said it may be a bad relay in the heater.
Ill keep you posted to let you know what it is.

Last edited:
   / electric base board heater question #13  
My experience is like Ron Mars. These are line voltage stats with no relays. I have used three kinds of stats. There is the old fashioned bimetallic spring ones which are being phased out, then there are the modern stats that have a battery and some internal electronic temp sensing device but no digital display, and then there are the third ones which I like the most that also have a battery and no bimetal spring but they are programmable for multiple temps and times.

They all click when the 220 load is activated. All have been two wire stats that required load and line to be on a particular wire which I never understood why but complied.

Note that these common two wire stat setups will leave one hot leg energized at the heater so you can get a 110 shock if you fiddle around in there while vacuuming the element or whatever.

Let us know what the electrician shows you. I'm betting the stat is busted.