Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally!

/ Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally! #1  

Adiredneck

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400DT, Kubota L5240
I have a new 3500Lb axle on order for my 4x8 utility trailer with electric brakes. I have had too many close calls hauling firewood down my mountain. I had a draw-tite brake controller sitting around that I salvaged about 2 years ago. There is a beautiful spot for mounting it under the control valve for the loader. I used a momentary push-button switch on the inside of the fender to activate the controller. I looked around for a while to find a mounting spot for the 7-way receptacle, but finally decided that I liked it in the toolbox, out of the weather.

I thought about using a rear brake light switch from a motorcycle, but I didn't want the controller on whenever I set the parking brake, or when on flat ground. Hopefully, I can just adjust for a little drag & thumb the switch when I need it.

I just need the new axle to get here & I will be able to move some of the wood that I have in piles all over the woods.

Attachments

• DSCN0668.JPG
    DSCN0668.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN0669.JPG
    DSCN0669.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN0666.JPG
    DSCN0666.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN0667.JPG
    DSCN0667.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 244
   / Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally! #2  
I've never seen an electric trailer brake controller on a tractor. I would assume that, because of the slower speeds that tractors travel, most people don't feel they need trailer brakes. But as you said, I can sure see how it would be a big advantage (maybe even a life saver) at times. And they may be more common than I've thought; just that I've not seen it before. I think it's a good idea anyway.

/ Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally! #3  
Unique mod..... looks very professional... good work.... hmm...maybe I need one??

/ Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally!
This is the trailer that I use. I estimate that I have around 2000# in it when I pile the wood in. For a 2400# tractor (not incl the loader wght), that really pushes me.

Attachments

• DSCN0664.JPG
    DSCN0664.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 197
   / Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally! #5  
Hmmm, there's something I should do....

On my tractor, when I'm going down my driveway, if I don't have it in 4x4 and try to hit reverse, the back wheels just turn backwards. The tractor does NOT stop. Brakes won't stop it, either.... I *need* to get my tires loaded.

I generally take my driveway very slowly for that reason.

I had my little lawn tractor with a trailer on the back going down the driveway and the brakes went out. Man, what a ride! I flew across the 55mph road at the bottom probably doing 20 mph myself. Jumped the culvert on the other side, landed in the field, and flipped the thing over. Landed on top of me. No roll bar. Fortunately it only weighs 500 lbs.... No work outside for me that summer....

/ Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally! #6  
Very cool, but doesn't your tractor's tail lights come on when you hit the brakes? (ie brake lights)

If they do, why not just tie them to that circuit and you don't need the button

/ Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally!
No existing brake lights on the tractor. Just signal lights & running lights. Also, by design, brake controllers are just to be used for operational brakes, not for emergency/parking brakes. So every time I set my parking brake with the trailer attached, the electric brakes would be on, drawing current.

/ Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally! #8  
This is the trailer that I use. I estimate that I have around 2000# in it when I pile the wood in. For a 2400# tractor (not incl the loader wght), that really pushes me.

While adding brakes is commendable, I think in the long view you blew it. You should have bought a larger tractor! Ok, just kidding, nice install.

Q: did you think about going with surge brakes as that would have been a trailer only modification?

jb

/ Electric brakes on my tractor-Finally! #9  
Hey I will take the Yamaha off your hands.. Just add a toggle switch on the dash or by the seat to apply the brake voltage?