Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #11  
What is the downforce of those spings? might need to add some weight to get it working correct.

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe
It is an important consideration for sure. Too weak and too strong are both bad choices. The springs I got are rated about 50 lbs/inch, max about 70 lbs. With eight of them, and a bit of compression. I figure the downforce on the hammer is probably 150-300 lbs. More than a heavy weight hammer operator could put on it. But hopefully not too much. I am not ready yet to break up the concrete walkway, but I did try the hammer out. As far as I could tell it worked about the same as hand held.

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #13  
Looking at the pictures brings back memories of demolishing an old concrete septic tank a few years ago. I rented a similar demolition hammer for a half day. I got the job done but I can't recall ever being as tired and sore afterwards. For those of us who do not operate one of those on a regular basis this project looks like a real body saver!

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #14  
Even with spring adapter, hoe may exert too excessive down pressure on reciprocal mechanism . Elec hammers are designed to function under their own weight, the recoil repels human down pressure. Might work for awhile, doubt long term success. Here is an idea, visit a contractor supply store not a DIY like home depot but real contractor supply. Show your design, ask if the mfg will warranty the tool? That will be your answer. You did do a nice job on design and fabrication. But ask a tool to perform in a manner outside design perameters in not a formula for success. Do you want honest feedback or just affirmative accolades?
EDIT: from hoe seat very difficult to determine down pressure being applied/exerted

Mcfarmall,
Believe you read an unintended message language in another thread. The subtle sarcasm you interjected in a post was absolutely acknowledged and credited if you will, re-read what was written in reply, hope you'll agree. Your intended disclaimer was loud and clear. Felt badly you interpreted otherwise,

Last edited:
   / Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #15  
This is a great idea for small backhoe and very well thought out and built! Well done. This could probably turned into a small Internet business!

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #16  
I have about 100 ft of concrete walkway to break up and replace this summer. My old Makita hammer will do it, but my back is not what it used to be. This winter I made an adapter so the hammer can be mounted on the backhoe coupler. The backhoe is just used to position the hammer, not to put down force on it. The bottom plate of the adapter connects to the hammer. The top plate of the adapter connects to the quick coupler. In between are four 1" bolts with eight moderately heavy springs. The springs allow me to position the hammer without putting excess down force on it. I put a weather resistant switch enclosure on the ROPS. One power cord goes to the hammer, another goes to a building receptacle. I could run the hammer from a generator too but since the walkway is between buildings I can use a long extension cord. The setup works as planned.

Photo 1: the adapter mounted to the hammer.
Photo 2: four wraps of strong rubber sheet around the handle to protect it from the clamp.
Photo 3: hammer mounted on the backhoe.
Photo 4: springs extended.
Photo 5: springs compressed.
Photo 6: hammer control switch.

I love it!!

I love when people take what they have, modify it a bit and save themselves a lot of work. That is working smarter and not working longer hours to pay someone else to get what they need. Well done.

I am glad to hear it worked. I wanted to do something similar, but use the jack hammer to pound fence posts for me swung while out from my log trailer on its boom.

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #17  
boy is that ever nice!!
I searched it tonight and sure enough some clever sob figured it out!!
lol
I was thinking of a clamp on metal harness to go over my back hoe bucket do i dont have to remove the bucket.
really like the spring idea too.
my concept put my 3600 watt generator strapped in then loader bucket with a on / off switch box magnetized to the hood.
I'm digging 5 foot deep geo-tech test holes for a building permit and my back hoe cant quite make it to 4'. so I've got to redneck me a solution before Wednesday when the engineer is coming!!
I can totally relate to a 60 pound hammer killing your back!!
at 25 I ran that big dog like a boss. at 60???
my back hurts just looking at the dang case!!
do you have any video of that bad boy in action by any chance???

/ Electric Demolition Hammer Mounted on Backhoe #18  
Nice well thought out and fabricated solution to a problem. Designed for your equipment and skill set should work well.

A simple lever micro switch rigged to open and stop the tool if too much pressure was being applied could alert the operator. Or close a switch a light a warning lamp? Both?

Looks like a fun build and hope satisfying performance. Thanks for sharing.