Electric Riding Mowers

/ Electric Riding Mowers #11  
While I dont have the rider yet-
Ive had the Ryobi self propelled mower with two 40v 8ah batteries and it does what it should. I can mow for 30 minutes plus per battery and it handles the tall grass well. Light and quietish-easy maintenance and storage. I have been using Ryobi outdoor tools for 7 years now and never lost a tool or battery. So far I have 19 40volt batteries because Ryobi, unlike Milwaukee doesn't sell tool only at Home Depot.

It is the 40volt self propelled HP mower and I would buy it again at 600 usd vs the Milwaukee mower M18 at $1100.

I dont like the battery operated mower blades------way too thin, but I havent damaged mine yet.

I also get free lifetime fuel with my solar panels :)

/ Electric Riding Mowers #12  
trail system I know of runs from Wyoming to Mexican border
The Continental Divide Trail
It is the 40volt self propelled HP mower and I would buy it again at 600 usd vs the Milwaukee mower M18 at $1100.
When considering battery operated it is important to consider the cost of the fuel storage.
For instance I'm virtually locked into the DeWalt 20V/Flexvolt camp.
I even have the 1800 Watt Portable Power Station and 20V/60V MAX Lithium-Ion Battery Charger. Holds 4 batteries and can provide 120V out. So when buying the DeWalt lawnmower I valued the two 12AH batteries it came with at street value which made the purchase of the lawnmower easier to justify.

/ Electric Riding Mowers #13  
I'll jump in as we just accidentally bought the same exact mower. The neighbor bought one, never mowed once, and changed his mind for some reason. He offered me a deal I just couldn't pass up so now we own one.

Our experience so far:

1) As far as power, it has as much power as a gasoline version of a homeowner zero turn.

2) It is far less intimidating for Grandma to use than a gas powered mower. She comes up on a stick or a toy, and she steps off the mower and moves the object. Then she steps back on the mower. No killing the engine because she forgot to set the brake, no killing the engine because she grabbed the steering arms before she released the brake.
I'm surprised how much of a difference this makes. Jump off, jump on.

3) @scootr is correct. We could probably hire a kid or a lawn service for cheaper. But this is a good way for people to get involved who normally are a bit intimated by the gas powered equipment. Anything we can do to keep the older generation involved and active is good with me.

No prediction yet on battery life, but whoever is mowing tends to either finish or physically tire out before the batter gets below half a charge. I'm hoping that will help extend the battery life.

Bottom line:
If this hadn't fallen into my lap, I would have simply continued to mow for Grandma and Pops. But this does seem to be working out even better than I expected.

/ Electric Riding Mowers #14  
I've had Husqvarna battery system blower and weed eater for about 4 years. The original 2 batteries are both doing a "I may or may not work today" mode. Bought a replacement battery...$179. These are used very sparingly...as I have gas stuff and these are for blowing off the porch and mower...etc...and the wife uses the battery weed wacker for the weight around her garden. IDK if I'd buy another set at this point. The original cost + the batteries/time limit unless I had a very small lawn/property. Almost $200 for a battery (there are not cheaper alternatives out there) for about 20-30 of time is really pushing the value proposition. They work well when they work. I just have a problem with the limitations when you need more power. I solved that with 2 batteries...but I'd be in the $400 range if I bought another battery and then I'm worried the actual tools might not outlive the batteries. That's a LOT OF GAS and the cost of entry for the gas counterparts is lower or you get a much better tool for the same money. #my2cents

getting back on the actual TOPIC at hand....

Here is a longterm test on Ryobi:

/ Electric Riding Mowers #15  
Careful considering how expensive batteries are. I read requirements where you can store your batteries off season. Looked into an ego zt briefly luckily I read its manual online before I got to serious, said to store all batteries at room temp during winter. Where I was planning to use it I only keep the place at 40 degrees when not in use. #1 on 56v storage instructions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230512-165933.png
    Screenshot_20230512-165933.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
   / Electric Riding Mowers
The Continental Divide Trail

When considering battery operated it is important to consider the cost of the fuel storage.
For instance I'm virtually locked into the DeWalt 20V/Flexvolt camp.
I even have the 1800 Watt Portable Power Station and 20V/60V MAX Lithium-Ion Battery Charger. Holds 4 batteries and can provide 120V out. So when buying the DeWalt lawnmower I valued the two 12AH batteries it came with at street value which made the purchase of the lawnmower easier to justify.
I also use DeWalt tools and have a dozen or more flex volt batteries. I have the same walk behind mower and it works well. Unfortunately, DeWalt doesn't make a riding mower at this point.

/ Electric Riding Mowers #17  
While I dont have the rider yet-
Ive had the Ryobi self propelled mower with two 40v 8ah batteries and it does what it should. I can mow for 30 minutes plus per battery and it handles the tall grass well. Light and quietish-easy maintenance and storage. I have been using Ryobi outdoor tools for 7 years now and never lost a tool or battery. So far I have 19 40volt batteries because Ryobi, unlike Milwaukee doesn't sell tool only at Home Depot.

I dont like the battery operated mower blades------way too thin, but I havent damaged mine yet.

I also get free lifetime fuel with my solar panels :)

So you have accumulated 19 Ryobi 40v 8ah batteries. Home Depot is listing these at $279 each. So if my math is correct, you have 19 X 279 = $5301.00 invested in batteries. That's a lot of money.

I hope that works out for you.

/ Electric Riding Mowers #18  
There are Dewalt branded ZTRs that use Kawasaki gas engines.

Roughly speaking, an electric XTR is about twice the price of a gas ZTR. How do you even estimate the life expectancy, availability and cost of replacement batteries for these ZTRs that use significantly larger amp batteries and higher voltages than power tools?

/ Electric Riding Mowers #19  
We've both a 40v self propelled mower and a ZT48e. Both are great. Haven't used the self propelled mower much after buying the ZT about 3 years ago.

Don't know why you're mowing 7 acres. I'd just mow trails in it to enjoy it and bush hog it about once/yr. The ZT will do somewhere between 2 and 4 acres on a charge. I seldom see much below 75% on ours doing the 1/2 acre around the house.

/ Electric Riding Mowers #20  
Update from our experience over the weekend:

Used the mower in some taller grass, and it did just as well as the gas powered unit we own.

I noticed some conversation around the electric not saving money over gas, and I agree that you would not purchase electric planning to save money.

That's okay with me, it's the other benefits that are working well:

1) Pops used to start the gasoline, self propelled walk mower. Then he felt he had to mow the entire yard, or at least an entire area all at once. He worried if he shut down the gas mower it would be hard to re-start (pull start on that one).

2) Grams would shy away from the gas powered riding mower. It seemed like every time she stopped, she would forget one safety or another and then couldn't start it up again. With the electric, once the seat occupancy sensor knows she's back on, she's good to go.

Bottom line-- We wouldn't buy it to save money, but when it comes to ease of use, the electric has definitely won us over.