Electric transformer in front of house (on ground)

/ Electric transformer in front of house (on ground) #31  
As somebody noted, all utilities seem to be different. Mine would go something like 150' from the road for no special charge if you went overhead. They'd add one pole if necessary. Beyond that there was a charge. If you went underground, you had to do it or have it done at your expense, but they would set the equipment at no charge.

/ Electric transformer in front of house (on ground) #33  
I paid them about $1500 in 1993 to move mine to behind the house.

They come around and put a sticker on it every 5 or 10 years, so if they didn't like something, I guess they would mention it then.

/ Electric transformer in front of house (on ground) #34  
Same here with my coop, had the option of overhead or buried, I went buried with the transformer about 25ft from the shop (having to run 6in conduit almost made go overhead) .
6 inch conduit? a misprint I hope

/ Electric transformer in front of house (on ground) #35  
6 inch conduit? a misprint I hope
Nope, for 3phase 6in is the spec. Single phase is only 3in.

Real fun to work with, especially when the trench floods and floats it after only part of it had been backfilled.
1011583295.jpeg

/ Electric transformer in front of house (on ground) #36  
Some people are like that. They need to find something serious to worry about instead.

/ Electric transformer in front of house (on ground) #37  
Holy crap. In 30 years as an electrician I’ve never seen 6” pipe. Ive run lots of 3 phase in 3” pipe. 2 inch for single phase. Both primary and secondary runs.

as sucky as 3 inch is to work with, id quite before running 6 inch.

/ Electric transformer in front of house (on ground) #38  
Based on how much of a pain it was for them to pull the primary wire in the 6in, I wouldn't want to do anything smaller. And yes it did suck, 250ft with a 45 at about mid way. The 25 or so ft run from the transformer to the shop was only 4in for the secondary lines.
1174609424.jpeg

/ Electric transformer in front of house (on ground) #39  
I would like to add to your post Moss.The biggest problem I have found with under ground wire is if you have a fault its harder to locate verses overhead wire on poles.You need special equipment to locate UG faults it can be a PIA to find the fault at times.
Makes sense. Thanks.

/ Electric transformer in front of house (on ground) #40  
I work for a utility and we require at least 8’ open area in front of pad mount transformers. We use 8’ hot sticks to de-energize transformer to do maintenance.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2007 MACK CTP713 (A32908)
2007 MACK CTP713...
2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...
AGT QH12R Mini Excavator (A33526)
AGT QH12R Mini...
Torch Cart, Regulators, Hose &  SmithTorch (A33349)
Torch Cart...
8 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
8 Yard steel end...
John Deere Z930M (A33526)
John Deere Z930M...