Electric vehicles during a disaster

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #31  
The mileage difference is minimal, in my experience.
Your experience flies in the face of wind resistance. Common sense tells you that the wind resistance is much less at 65 than it is at 80 and wind resistance is the main contributor to poor fuel mileage. Your wallet, not mine. I prefer to get good fuel mileage rather than driving at warp factor one. Again, the minimum speed on any Interstate highway is 45 (if you bother to read the speed limit signs, don't matter what the top posted speed is, that is a Federal law.

65 works for me just fine. Never been in that big of a hurry anyway. I just leave in time to get to my destination on time.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #32  
1660730940401.jpeg

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #34  
That's funny right there.... Sure it wasn't 45? 45 is the minimum speed on ANY Interstate highway. 80 is way too fast unless you have a large wallet and don't mind getting poor gas mileage, I'm one of those 'Hyper Miler' people. 65 = 40 + mpg.
Hyper Milers…. The scourge of commuters everywhere!

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #35  
I find that interesting but Winter in Norway only lasts a little over 3 months. Ours lasts 7 or 8 months.

Family & friends from Norway. Most of the countrys population lives in concentrated areas.
They don’t drive as far on a average as we do.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #36  
Over half (54%) of all new registered cars in Norway are EV’s,
…so obviously it’s impossible for EV’s to be a viable option in cold weather environments! “ iT cAn’T bE dOnE! “
At least America leads the world in something. Unfortunately it is “It’ll will never work” comments. Meanwhile the world…
As I understand it, the subsidies for EVs did create a lot of new EV sales. However, many people didn't get rid of their old IC cars. The program basically turned one car families into two car families or replaced one of the cars in a two car family. Long term, I see that as the most likely way to get more EVs into the US market.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #37  
I think it’s been discussed here before that Norway is pretty much energy independent, and gets something like 95% of their electricity from hydro, and is a net exporter of fuel.

It makes really good sense for them to go to electric cars.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #38  
Hyper Milers…. The scourge of commuters everywhere!
I don't commute, I'm retired. When I have to go somewhere, I leave in ample time to get there....and my freeway speed is always 65 or just above that and I maintain my vehicle properly and actually check the air in the tires weekly. Something that is alien to a lot of people, including tractor owners. last time I checked here in Michigan the truck speed limit was 65.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #39  
I think it’s been discussed here before that Norway is pretty much energy independent, and gets something like 95% of their electricity from hydro, and is a net exporter of fuel.

It makes really good sense for them to go to electric cars.

If wikipedia says it's true, you can bank on it which is bs.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #40  
That's because no one has to drive any distance in Norway - just a tiny country.

Last month I had to make a trip to Kansas City from my home in Nevada. Almost exactly 1500 miles one way. Crossing Wyoming on I-80 I passed 3 Teslas. Each was a traffic hazard - driving ~ 40 mph when everyone else was driving 80+ mph. Long way between towns - guess they were trying to "save" electricity.

I would have loved to have an EV back when I was still working and commuting every day. But other than commuting, driving an EV across Nevada/Utah/Wyoming where it is many miles between towns and there is no charging infrastructure in place yet...it would be a frustrating experience.
To drive from the south to the Russian border takes a few days so it's not that small, and it's not a big issue to take a EV on a long trip, charging stations are plentiful, a EV works quit nice for most people, fewer and fewer have a ICE as a backup.