Electric vehicles during a disaster

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #52  
No worries here. The desert sits on the most pristine water aquifer (no ag or industry) that has hundreds of years of water. Glub glub! Maybe you need to find out what pure water tastes like. The desert has won the world water tasting competition. How about your area?

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #53  
Hyper Milers…. The scourge of commuters everywhere!

No kidding, stay on the surface streets and off the highways.

Cruise in my EV generally at 82-83 on my commute, at a penny or two a mile, don’t really care about the efficiency loss.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #54  
To drive from the south to the Russian border takes a few days so it's not that small, and it's not a big issue to take a EV on a long trip, charging stations are plentiful, a EV works quit nice for most people, fewer and fewer have a ICE as a backup.

A few days? From what I can see, Norway is about 1000 miles long north to south. It is not unusual for me to drive 1000 miles in one day. Never been to Norway, but different driving conditions I'm sure. I set the cruise at 82 mph (about 132 kph) and drive till I need a break or fuel. Many places I can see the highway for 20 miles down the road, and traffic is minimal.
DSC01649ertbn8-17-22.jpg

As of yet, EV charging stations are hard to find.

P1001298ertbn8-17-22.jpg

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #55  
A few days? From what I can see, Norway is about 1000 miles long north to south. It is not unusual for me to drive 1000 miles in one day. Never been to Norway, but different driving conditions I'm sure. I set the cruise at 82 mph (about 132 kph) and drive till I need a break or fuel. Many places I can see the highway for 20 miles down the road, and traffic is minimal.
View attachment 758652

As of yet, EV charging stations are hard to find.

View attachment 758653
During my time in the AF of some 21 years, I made many trips east coast to Washington both ways. That was back in the days of 60mph limits, 2 lane roads. I used to hate to come over a rise and see a stretch like that! Hard to stay awake. Worse was during the double nickel days. 1.000 miles/day was around my average.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #56  
It makes you wonder though: What if we started our love of automobiles with electric vehicles when in its infancy (which was a real possibility)? Could you imagine everyone's arguments against petroleum powered vehicles now (if there were a need for them) when 100 years of infrastructure was based on EVs?
- I have to put 20 gallons of highly flammable liquid in the same car as my family?
- What if I run out of that magic elixir on the road? I can't just pour in anything.
- It makes may hands stink when I fuel it up. What if I spill it?
- There are fluids and oils flowing in all directions on this thing. What if a line breaks?
- It makes so much wasted heat that it needs a sperate way to cool it and a seperate fluid just for that?
- So I need a permit to put a tank at my house to fuel it at home? Fuel stations are so few and far between! Then I'm stuck with storing a huge amount of flammable liquid at my home. No Way!
- There's like 10,000 parts on this thing! Something is always breaking!
- Wait, the more weight you put in it, the more it consumes, which adds more weight.
- I can't use it indoors? Why not? It spews WHAT?
- I heard the Illuminati controls the source of this magic elixer!

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #58  
It makes you wonder though: What if we started our love of automobiles with electric vehicles when in its infancy (which was a real possibility)? Could you imagine everyone's arguments against petroleum powered vehicles now (if there were a need for them) when 100 years of infrastructure was based on EVs?
- I have to put 20 gallons of highly flammable liquid in the same car as my family?
- What if I run out of that magic elixir on the road? I can't just pour in anything.
- It makes may hands stink when I fuel it up. What if I spill it?
- There are fluids and oils flowing in all directions on this thing. What if a line breaks?
- It makes so much wasted heat that it needs a sperate way to cool it and a seperate fluid just for that?
- So I need a permit to put a tank at my house to fuel it at home? Fuel stations are so few and far between! Then I'm stuck with storing a huge amount of flammable liquid at my home. No Way!
- There's like 10,000 parts on this thing! Something is always breaking!
- Wait, the more weight you put in it, the more it consumes, which adds more weight.
- I can't use it indoors? Why not? It spews WHAT?
- I heard the Illuminati controls the source of this magic elixer!
Well now EVs were around right at the very beginning of automobiles, as was steam powered. I do not believe the government dictating what technology should be used back then. I may well be wrong.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #59  
As far as evacs go from hurricanes etc...by the time that there are that many EVs on the road they won't be relying on batteries...and until then EVs that die on the road will just get pushed off the road out of the way by whatever means...(trucks with big bumpers will be the heroes...)...!

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #60  
That's because no one has to drive any distance in Norway - just a tiny country….

IMG_2633.JPG

This was the latest info I could find regarding average car trip distances in U.S.

95% of trips are under 30 miles.
90% are under 20 miles.
76% are under 10 miles.

….but hey, I’m probably just too old, having grown up in an American that could put a man on the moon, I probably should just accept the new “can’t do” attitudes that prevail here.

Last edited: