electric vehicles

/ electric vehicles #151  
I've had a Model 3 Tesla for 4 years. other than 1 set of tires, wiper blades and cabin air filter no other costs. Charge on solar so no fuel costs.
I never buy an ICE vehicle again

Well your car is only 4 years old. So yeah, no maintenance cost. What about 10 years from now ? Will you still be singing the same song ?

And the solar panels were free !

/ electric vehicles #152  
I am neutral on EV ownership. I don't own one and most likely never will. But if my neighbor wants to own one, fine for him.

What I don't agree with is the city, state and federal governments, using my tax dollars, to install EV charging stations. I can't recall the state ever paying a company to install a gas station along the highway.
Fossil Fuel subsidies

/ electric vehicles #153  
You need to get rid of that gas hog and get a real truck that gets decent fuel mileage;););). Here's a shot of the display on my F150:
View attachment 853664

500 miles since the last fill-up, and over 300 miles of range left. A real bladder buster!
It has long been paid for and is used as a GO-FOR (Gopher) truck. For what it is used for I can buy a little gas and endure the 18MPG. Fertilizer for lawn once a year, monthly garbage hauling and gas and diesel fuel hauling. It would be expensive to upgrade to something newer or new just do do the same tasks.

/ electric vehicles #154  
And all that while driving in the stop, crawl along traffic on a California freeway. Okay if you say so.

For some real world data

2001 corollas averaging about 29 MPG
2023 corollas averaging about 37 MPG

/ electric vehicles #155  
For some real world data

2001 corollas averaging about 29 MPG
2023 corollas averaging about 37 MPG

Interesting in that I own both a 2001 Corolla S and 2011 Corolla S

The data referenced above shows the 2011 slightly better mpg than the 2001.

My experience where the rubber meets the road is always much better mpg with the smaller and lighter 2001 opposed to the 2011.

The 2011 is a better road car but not a peppy as the lighter 2001

The data also shows later models hovering around the 40 mpg mark.

/ electric vehicles #156  
9 year old diesel Cayenne SUV 35-37+ mpg at 70 mph 28 in town

/ electric vehicles #157  
9 year old diesel Cayenne SUV 35-37+ mpg at 70 mph 28 in town
With diesel about 30-35% more per gallon, 36 mpg equates to 27 mpg for gas.

I often wondered why those econoboxes with diesels did not become more popular. But 50 mpg diesel is about 38 mpg with gas.

/ electric vehicles #158  
With diesel about 30-35% more per gallon, 36 mpg equates to 27 mpg for gas.

🤔
I think 36 mpg is still 36 mpg whatever the price, otherwise someone getting 36 mpg in San Francisco paying $4.40/gallon could be said to be getting 51 mpg driving through NH at 3.09/ gallon.😆

What’s the equivalent mpg of a battery vehicle charging off a $15k solar system?

/ electric vehicles #159  
🤔
I think 36 mpg is still 36 mpg whatever the price, otherwise someone getting 36 mpg in San Francisco paying $4.40/gallon could be said to be getting 51 mpg driving through NH at 3.09/ gallon.😆

What’s the equivalent mpg of a battery vehicle charging off a $15k solar system?

Well, without opportunity cost?

150k miles at $3/gal and 30mpg.

So about 10 years of driving. Except that $15k investment loses $15k in opportunity cost over 10 years. Meaning you never catch up. This doesn't include the likely $10k premium to buy the EV in the first place. It's like buying a new car, with better mileage, to save on gas costs... Completely disregarding the cost of the new vehicle in the calculation.
I've had neighbors use this justification for buying new cars... To gain 7mpg, for the low low cost of $20k 😂

/ electric vehicles
HERTZ CAR RENTAL has a BIG problem with EV's
No one wants to rent one and they are going to sell 20,000
EV's at a loss of $250 million dollars they are going to
purchase gas powered vehicles. EV's are really making a
big impression on people!

A slap to the face to ***** FOX news

willy

Last edited: