Electrical Demon Exorcism Successful (Hopefully)

/ Electrical Demon Exorcism Successful (Hopefully) #1  

Tom_H

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
A bit over 2 years ago, I had a Woods BH6000 put on the BX2200. This involved mounting a subframe, replacing the seat, and extending hydraulics on the tractor.

Immediately after getting it back, there were all kinds of electrical problems, gauges going haywire, fuses blowing fuel pump not pumping, etc. The dealer had to pick it up, take it in, and do repairs.

Soon, it was blowing fuses again, and was in for more work.

This spring, the gauges stopped working, it would not get fuel, and when it would run, the solenoid didn't want to shut off. She stalled in the field and then big rains came. She was stranded in the field for 3 weeks. One of their guys who is partially (but not fully) trained as a mechanic got it going, drove it halfway across the field and got it bogged down. Three more weeks stuck while the field dried some more. Finally, she went to the shop again, where the mechanics had no trouble getting it cranked, yet could not get it to shut off. More repairs and more money for new fuel pump and solenoid.

When they brought it back and dropped it off, I didn't have time to test it for 2 weeks. As soon as I tried it I noticed that the gauges were dead and a fuse was missing. I put a replacement in and it blew immediately, though it cranked, ran, and would shut off. With summer brush hogging approaching, heat up to 115 degrees, and clouds of chaff to clog the radiator, I had to have a reliable temperature gauge. I called the svc. mgr., told him the situation, reviewed the history, and he agreed to do another service for no charge.

While they had the tractor, it started blowing fuses and doing all kinds of bizarre things (at least it happened while they had it-I hate it when I take vehicles to the shop and they can't replicate the problem). The mechanic spent 8 hours trying to trace the problem and couldn't. They finally decided it was cheaper to order a new wiring harness and rewire the entire tractor. They had to wait a few days for the harness to come out of TX, and then took more hours to rewire and test everything.

They finally admitted that some wire must have been stretched and an internal short created during the backhoe installation. Even though I feel like I should not have had to pay for all the repairs that I did, I am glad they agreed to absorb the cost of this one ahead of time, because I do not know what would have happened if they had known how involved this would be. I think the bill would have been around $1500 or more.

My little set of wire leads for the electric sprayer that attaches to the battery was gone. The mechanic said it was fried and gave me some materials to fashion a new set of leads. As I was securing the tractor on the trailer, the guy who had gotten it started and then stuck in the field walked by and said that my wire leads for the sprayer had been the cause for all the problems. He further said that I should not put a new set of leads on the battery, but should instead have a connection wired into an empty slot on the harness so that that circuit should be protected by a fuse. I went back in to inquire with the svc. mgr. and mechanics, all of whom said this other guy had no idea what he was talking about. All three of them said the sprayer leads could not have caused the problem and that new leads should be put on exactly as they had been before, and not integrated into the harness.

Anyone know where I can get a preformed set of leads with battery terminal connectors on the loose ands and a plug at the other end?

Hopefully, this is the end of this saga.

/ Electrical Demon Exorcism Successful (Hopefully) #2  
Sometimes when I take equipment in to be serviced I feel like I should make them ride around on it with me and sign a checklist of all the things that are working properly. So when I get it back and things are foobarred it's pretty clear they caused it. Glad you got squared away, sounds like a long 2 years.

/ Electrical Demon Exorcism Successful (Hopefully) #3  
Anyone know where I can get a preformed set of leads with battery terminal connectors on the loose ands and a plug at the other end?

When you make the sprayer harness... Put an inline fuse At the battery connection, You can get a weather tight fuse holder at any auto parts store. They look like this, Littelfuse FHAC2 Fuse Holder

Run a ground wire along with the hot (fused) wire. You can incorporate a switch in the run to make it handier. Put your wiring in a split wire loom and secure it where it will not catch or drag against anything... The plug at the end can be any of dozens that are available, also at your auto parts place. Get what will match your plug at the sprayer pump motor. Take your time and you will only have to do this once.
BTW... your old wiring job likely had nothing to do with the other problems... But it is always a good practice to fuse anything you run, AT the closest point from where you get the power.... KennyV

/ Electrical Demon Exorcism Successful (Hopefully) #4  
I'd say you had more of a dealer problem than a tractor problem.. That's quite a saga.

Sean

/ Electrical Demon Exorcism Successful (Hopefully)
I ran it for about an hour today and everything worked normally. No fuses blew, glow plugs came on, switch worked correctly in all positions (forgot to say in last post that previous switch burned out before), headlights work, fuel & temp. gauges & chronometer all worked again, I could finally once again hear that rat-tat-tat sound while glow plugs were warming (someone said that is fuel pump, but fuel flowed for start without that sound when they brought it back the previous time).