Electrical: Does this make sense?

/ Electrical: Does this make sense? #1  

MrP

Gold Member
Tractor
None: Sold Kubota L3410 HST 4WD
Does it make sense to put a GFCI outlet on a circuit that is already GFCI protected? I am going to run cable out to my flagpole for lights. I wanted to add a GFCI to the outlet that is going to power the lights. However, I just realized that the ciruit is already GFCI protected.

Does it make sense to wire the GFCI plug for the outdoor lights if the GFCI is already on another switch in the circuit?

/ Electrical: Does this make sense? #3  
So long as you know that the lead to the flag pole is definately down stream from the GFI and thus protected by it. Sometimes, if they put in a "GFI outlet" they are only wired to protect that outlet. The only way to test that is to punch the test button and see if the outlet you are wiring to goes dead.

If it does, you are protected...... Tom

/ Electrical: Does this make sense?
Tom,

The GFCI tripped last night. I found out when my wife said "Why are the flag lights out?".

So, It sounds like I'm OK. I'll return the GFCI to Home Depot and get my $7 back.

Thanks!

/ Electrical: Does this make sense? #5  
<font color=blue>"sounds redundant to me"</font color=blue>

To be sure, submit it to the the U.S. Department of Redundancy Dept. of America. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Electrical: Does this make sense? #6  
<font color=blue>U.S. Department of Redundancy Dept. of America</font color=blue>
I work for them! The submittal requires 4 forms - 1 you get off the website - 2 you have to mail off for but the address has changed and nobody knows what the new address is yet - and the 4th one is out of print and won't be available until we get a new budget and can get money to pay the printers /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Electrical: Does this make sense? #7  
sounds like we need a full and thorough investigation to get all the facts, and then a fully funded study to see why this happened in the first place. a new cabinet post to coordinate all the info as it comes in so someone can connect all the dots.