Electrical help needed--12V

/ Electrical help needed--12V #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I have one of those cheapie 15 gallon sprayers. It has a Shurflo on-demand pump, so it comes on when there is a pressure drop. I haul it behind my riding mower in a little trailer and spray along my driveway, the road and my yard.

It decided to blow fuses. First time it ran just a few seconds to build up initial pressure, then the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse, it ran fine for about 20-30 minutes before blowing a fuse again. 5 amp fuse, 4.3 amp pump. I probably have 30-50 hours on this setup with no previous problems.

Checked the hoses, the wand, the entire flow system and found no obstructions that would put unusual load on the pump.

The wiring appears undamaged and with my ohm meter there are no obvious shorts.

So, where do I go from here? Suppose the pump motor is bad? How can I check it out? What else can I check and how can I check those things?

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Electrical help needed--12V #2  
Hola Pilot,
I'm working in Solar Energy and i use a lot of this Shurflo pumps.
I think that the 5Amp fuse is very low with a 4,3Amp motor.
When the pump starts, the amps reach easely 4 time the rated motor amps so you must have a slow blow fuse, i don't know exactly the name but in France (i'm French) we call this fuse AM (motor acompagnment).
I sugest you to use a 8 Amps fuse and see what appens.
Saludos cordiales from Orosi, Costa Rica
Frank

/ Electrical help needed--12V #3  
The sprayer motors I have need a 10 amp fuse (I don't think it's slow blow). Any chance you replaced the fuse with a different type?

/ Electrical help needed--12V
I replaced the fuses with the same type and rating.

Thanks for the fuse suggestions, but we have no explanation why the system worked well for several years and just decided to blow fuses the last 2 times I tried to use it.

Would it start blowing fuses if the motor was dying? Is this a typical failure mode?

Electrical stuff is a weak area for me, so I wouldn't know how to hook up my ohm meter to read the amperage draw. The meter cables are too small to run it in series.

/ Electrical help needed--12V #5  
I agree that a 5 amp fuse may be too small.
Check all your connections for rust or corrosion. rust or corrosion will increase the amp draw causing your 5A fuse to blow.

Go with a 7.5 to 10A fuse. The wiring should be at least 14Ga. If the upgraded fuse blows then its probably the motor getting ready to go.

/ Electrical help needed--12V #6  
give shurflo a call: they are usually very helpful in solving problems with their pumps: the pump probably has a toll free number on it
heehaw

/ Electrical help needed--12V #7  
According to the Shurflo web site the fuse size should be on the pump label. Looking at the troubleshooting info an 8000 Series 12vdc pump would use a 15 amp fuse

/ Electrical help needed--12V #8  
Your pump probably has a pressure relief valve, and cuts off when the pressure is achieved. If the relief is sticking, and the pressure is building above the limits for the pump, then the motor will try and turn against the increased resistance caused by the higher pressure, and stalling, and drawing more current, until something happens. . Put a gage on it and determine if the motor is cutting off at the specified pressure. Read the ohms across the motor with no voltage applied, and figure what the current is with the resistance of the motor and the voltage.

/ Electrical help needed--12V #9  
Probably the motor brushes. May be sticking some or worn out. Easily replaced. Shaft bearings could have dried out a bit too - esp if motor ever gets wet.
larry

/ Electrical help needed--12V #10  
Could also be resistance in the fuse connections[oxidation] causing the fuse to run hot. Even at normal current/healthy motor this would cause the fuse to blow.
larry