Electrical Problem Farmall Cub

/ Electrical Problem Farmall Cub #1  

Ortis

Bronze Member
I have a Cub from the early 70s. For a couple years, I would be running it, and the ammeter would indicate discharge. I found that tapping the voltage regulator would result in the ammeter indicating charge. (I carried a stick so I could stay in the seat and tap) . I got tired of that and so I installed a new regulator. It seemed to work ok, but now it is doing the same thing. Worse, actually, since now after a tap it shows charge for a few seconds and then goes back to discharge. I am using it more often now, and I am waiting to see if the battery is actually discharging, or something else is affecting the meter. About the only other things I can imagine it being are:

1. Bad connection from generator to chassis
2. Bad connection from battery to chassis (not likely since the starter works fine)
3. Bad generator, although it is not obvious to me how that could cause it

Has anyone else had this problem?

/ Electrical Problem Farmall Cub #2  
Bad ground from the regulator to the chassie would be my guess.

The cub 12v gennies used an A circuit reg... or they did in 1966 when the switch to 12v happened. I have a 66 cub, had to dink a little with all new wires and harness to make it all work nice.

soundguy

/ Electrical Problem Farmall Cub
Thanks Soundguy:
Guess I have my vintage wrong since my Cub definitely has a 6V positive ground system. I bet your advice still stands, though. I sanded paint and cleaned screws when I installed the regulator. I'll add a ground strap and see what happens.

/ Electrical Problem Farmall Cub #4  
Yep.. 66 was the switch year for 12v gennies for the cub.. if yours is 6v, it is either retrofit.. or is an older vintage.

post your serial number fromt he steering box tag and we can date her for you.

I'm guessing then that yours has the rounded nose style sheet metal, and not the squared off hood of the later units?

in any event.. clean all connections and make them nice and tight. extra ground strap to genny and reg don't hurt none either.

soundguy