Electrical problems due to improper grounding

/ Electrical problems due to improper grounding #1  

Clyde

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4530 FWD
I've been faithfully reading all of the posts for almost a year and perhaps 3% of them describe an electrical problem(i.e, alternator failure, starter failure, or a pto solenoid that fails to actuate). I have a 4500 FWD and my dealer is a little ways away from me - called me and told me about a problem Mahindra was experiencing with an improper ground from the negative side of the battery terminal. On my model, the negative battery terminal grounds directly to the front grill housing with a flat washer - nothing to scratch the paint surface nor protective grease to repel corrosion at this ground point. He attended a Mahindra seminar where they suggested a star washer to contact and penetrate the paint as a "fix". My dealer, who has a logical knowledge of electrical flow, recommended that I replace the ground wire with a premade cable(6awg stranded and coated cable) available at the farm supply stores in various lengths, mine worked out to be 46" in length and ran it directly to the starter top bolt holding it to the engine. I had no troubles up to his phone call but it makes me wonder if alot of the electrical problems in the other posts aren't due to a similar problem. Mahindra was reluctant at first to pay for the new cable but my dealer told me to fix the trouble the right way and he'd reimburse me for my time and trouble to fix it right. If you're having problems, check the grounding of the negative battery terminal out first. Warranty is great but I plan to keep my 4500 for a long time after the warranty is over. Why put undo stress on components where you don't have to?

/ Electrical problems due to improper grounding #2  
I have a 4110 ( 5 months old). I had a cell in the battery die after 1 month, but no other problems. I have 97 hrs on it now.

/ Electrical problems due to improper grounding
I didn't mean to imply that everything that failed was due to the grounding problem. In fact the grounding on your 4110 might be proper from the factory. After reading the number of problems with electrical components, it makes one wonder why it is happening. I guess if I read 50 posts about battery failures, I would start wondering about the battery manufacturer.

/ Electrical problems due to improper grounding #4  
Good post! I have a 6000MWFD and was wondering how you routed your ground as the negative post on the battery is on the opposite side from the starter. I also will probably try to do this but I think since the 6000 has an extra cyl I may need a 50+ inch cable. Am very interested in how you brought it back to the starter.....Thnks BobG in VA

/ Electrical problems due to improper grounding
Bob - I can't take credit for the starter location for the ground. Either it came up at the seminar my dealer attended or it was thought out by my dealer to be the best spot. Yes....I imagine with the 6000, the distance might be greater from the battery to the starter but longer is better than too short and no pun intended. You can always tuck away a little slack enroute to the starter with a slack loop tied off with a ty-wrap or two. I heartedly encourage anyone, at least in the "00" series to look into this under engineered predicament. Thanks for your kind words as it makes the efforts of posting the message worthwhile.

/ Electrical problems due to improper grounding #6  
I've been faithfully reading all of the posts for almost a year and perhaps 3% of them describe an electrical problem(i.e, alternator failure, starter failure, or a pto solenoid that fails to actuate). I have a 4500 FWD and my dealer is a little ways away from me - called me and told me about a problem Mahindra was experiencing with an improper ground from the negative side of the battery terminal. On my model, the negative battery terminal grounds directly to the front grill housing with a flat washer - nothing to scratch the paint surface nor protective grease to repel corrosion at this ground point. He attended a Mahindra seminar where they suggested a star washer to contact and penetrate the paint as a "fix". My dealer, who has a logical knowledge of electrical flow, recommended that I replace the ground wire with a premade cable(6awg stranded and coated cable) available at the farm supply stores in various lengths, mine worked out to be 46" in length and ran it directly to the starter top bolt holding it to the engine. I had no troubles up to his phone call but it makes me wonder if alot of the electrical problems in the other posts aren't due to a similar problem. Mahindra was reluctant at first to pay for the new cable but my dealer told me to fix the trouble the right way and he'd reimburse me for my time and trouble to fix it right. If you're having problems, check the grounding of the negative battery terminal out first. Warranty is great but I plan to keep my 4500 for a long time after the warranty is over. Why put undo stress on components where you don't have to?
Clyde, I read your comments regarding the battery ground on your. 4500. You described my issue exactly on a my 4500. I took your suggestion and installed a new ground cable and connected it to a starter bolt. It fired right up. I sincerely appreciate you sharing your solution. I only wish I had read it sooner. Thank you!!