electrical relays

/ electrical relays #11  
This seems silly to me. You close the switch to energize the coil and closes the contact which then supplies voltage to the load. Why not just have the switch in place the the relay contact? Hmmmmm, I'm sure there must be a reason but it escapes me at this time.
For the same reason that most relays are used. The switch only carries the light load of the coil, while the relay contacts carry the load.

/ electrical relays #12  
This seems silly to me. You close the switch to energize the coil and closes the contact which then supplies voltage to the load. Why not just have the switch in place the the relay contact? Hmmmmm, I'm sure there must be a reason but it escapes me at this time.
See my reply above for the reasons for a relay.

/ electrical relays
I am an electrical dufus, I know.
James you gave me a great explanation and an offer to help once again. Thank you! If I get further lost I may just PM you.

Dale, yours was the fine description of a relay function that I was trying to search for. I remember that I once read about you describing and even drawing diagrams about how simple a relay was. I couldn't read through a gazillion presented examples to my question to find yours [and when searching I couldn't remember the exact name to apply to the search] -- I'm sorry for that.

I am even sorrier for posing my question in the beginning....as that now I realize that a "hazard flasher" is not really a relay! I thought it was. Dufus is me. That is what I was trying to determine...is my old "flasher" still viable/useable or junk. Since I changed it with a new flasher - and that didn't make any difference - and then changed the switch which did - could that mean my flasher is still functional?

How would I "bench" test it? I have (zero) desire to disassemble my dash once again to mount/remount a flasher to simply test if it works. Is there any sort of off circuit test procedure? Remember, this type of test needs to be fairly simple and easily done for/by electrical inclined dummies like me. Remember also - this is a "Hazard Flasher" that I am describing. I guess NOT a relay! Thanks, Greg

/ electrical relays #17  
James you gave me a great explanation and an offer to help once again. Thank you! If I get further lost I may just PM you.

Dale, yours was the fine description of a relay function that I was trying to search for. I remember that I once read about you describing and even drawing diagrams about how simple a relay was. I couldn't read through a gazillion presented examples to my question to find yours [and when searching I couldn't remember the exact name to apply to the search] -- I'm sorry for that.

I am even sorrier for posing my question in the beginning....as that now I realize that a "hazard flasher" is not really a relay! I thought it was. Dufus is me. That is what I was trying to determine...is my old "flasher" still viable/useable or junk. Since I changed it with a new flasher - and that didn't make any difference - and then changed the switch which did - could that mean my flasher is still functional?

How would I "bench" test it? I have (zero) desire to disassemble my dash once again to mount/remount a flasher to simply test if it works. Is there any sort of off circuit test procedure? Remember, this type of test needs to be fairly simple and easily done for/by electrical inclined dummies like me. Remember also - this is a "Hazard Flasher" that I am describing. I guess NOT a relay! Thanks, Greg
There are some videos on youtube about how to test a flasher.

But it involves, a meter, jumper wires, a light bulb/socket or test light, etc. Not a hard procedure but not really simple either.

Youd probably have more money in jumpers and connectors than a relay even costs. Which is why I dont know of anyone who actually tests them....not worth the time when they are so cheap.

/ electrical relays #19  

To test the flasher you need a power source (battery) and a simple lamp that will draw enough current to cause flasher to operate....

Sketch below is basics of old style (not solid state) thermal flasher is constructed........

3885958858_0ab78b8505.jpg

/ electrical relays #20  
ex K5EZK here. 73s to this thread. In all my years of electronics I've never seen a "relay tester".
Me neither, BUT I am thinking about if we could make money building and selling one.