electrical relays

/ electrical relays #51  
This seems silly to me. You close the switch to energize the coil and closes the contact which then supplies voltage to the load. Why not just have the switch in place the the relay contact? Hmmmmm, I'm sure there must be a reason but it escapes me at this time.
If you want to find out why relays are used as current amplifiers, in your car pull a size 00 cable from the + of the battery to a 300-Amp dashboard pushbutton switch and from there another 00 cable to the thick positive connection on the starter motor and hope that particularly in winter you don't lose too much voltage over that length of cable.

/ electrical relays #52  
I do,the comments are kindling for the fire of never ending debate and I said so in post #10. If you carefully read OP's first post,he ask's for information and explination of RELAY TESTERS and didn't ask for explination of how or why relays work. There isn't nor never was such thing as RELAY TESTERS and as I stated "anyone selling one is a con artist". As I suspected,people jumped on a chance to strut and preen by delving into theory of electricity which require's a library to fully understand. Electrical lend's itself to this back and forth,on and on because there are so many specialized fields and no single person is trained or understand's more than one or two fields. A master electrician doesn't understand dipole and ham operator understand's far less than electrician about temp poles. Duplex mean's one thing to ham and something intirly different to electrician. Undouptedly a ham could add a light switch or outlet that is safe but not neccessarly to code. This apply's to the countless fields so when specialty A make's a statment related to field D,specialty C & E can refute or at least minimumize A. And the beat go's on with first one then another stepping out to show how smart they are.
Ok,back to the relay races.🥇🏃‍♂️🧍‍♂️🧍‍♂️
Can I have some of whatever it is your smoking. relay testers certainly exist and I use them in auto motive testing regularly. i have also linked one

Man the hill people die on anymore. What happened to people who refuse to change their opinion after being provided evidence to the contrary. I have learned so much after learning I was an idiot :-0

/ electrical relays #53  
This seems silly to me. You close the switch to energize the coil and closes the contact which then supplies voltage to the load. Why not just have the switch in place the the relay contact? Hmmmmm, I'm sure there must be a reason but it escapes me at this time.
A relay allows a small or compact switch to control a heavy load that needs big contacts. Think of an ignition switch closing a circuit to energize the starter solenoid. The solenoid is a form of relay too.

/ electrical relays #54  
I love relays and use them to control actuators on snow implements. This is the setup we use. In 15 years of use, never had one of these 30amp versions fail. (don't use the limit switches shown here)
HowTo Wire  New DC Motor VERSION 2.jpg

/ electrical relays #55  
A relay allows a small or compact switch to control a heavy load that needs big contacts. Think of an ignition switch closing a circuit to energize the starter solenoid. The solenoid is a form of relay too.
Absolutely.
And the control doesn't even have to be a switch.
A relay can be controlled by sensors: temp, moisture, prox, etc
One relay can be controlled by another relay
Contactors (big relays) can have whole circuits controlling.
You can do all kinds of stuff with relays

/ electrical relays #56  
Absolutely.
And the control doesn't even have to be a switch.
A relay can be controlled by sensors: temp, moisture, prox, etc
One relay can be controlled by another relay
Contactors (big relays) can have whole circuits controlling.
You can do all kinds of stuff with relays
There was a reason programmable controllers used something called ladder logic;
every function in them was copied from relays and every function was doable with relays.
I would hate to have and try and add up all 8 and 11 pin octal relay bases I had wired up.
Then start throwing in time delay to operate relays and timed to drop out one shots and wrap arounds
even counters and momentary pulse relays.
It could be interesting troubleshooting many of those old systems.
Then we had all the interposing relays to use on the I/O's of programmable controllers.

/ electrical relays #57  
Piece of cake with a relay tester,or so I heard.:sneaky: