Emergency Lights

/ Emergency Lights #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
I've gone through 3 sets of those inside the house emergency lights. I'm talking about the kind that kick on when, not if, the power goes out. They're advertised to stay charged up when on stand-by and provide enough light to get out for 90 minutes after a power failure. So far, including my last set of LED's, they'll stay on for about 2 minutes or so, with one set lasting about 15 minutes. Very disappointing. Replacing the battery back-up has done nothing for me so far.View attachment emergency light.bmp

Has anyone found a brand that is more dependable than what I've bought? I'm about to replace all 4 again, and would appreciate hearing about a better experience with them.

/ Emergency Lights #2  
Your pic didnt work for me, but Id suggest going with something commercial if this is something you want to rely upon working when needed. Emergilite is a good brand that Ive installed.

/ Emergency Lights
I'm sorry the pic link bombed out. The emergency lights I'm talking about are those two-bulb sets that tie into your house electrical system and come on in case of a power failure. The brand doesn't seem to matter though. I've tried three different brands including Leviton and Levonia, which are well known brands, and had disappointing success.

I've replaced those 6V batteries twice, and just today checked to see if mine are still good, after only one year, and they are fully charged. I'm just guessing that its the fixture that goes bad rather than weak batteries. ??? Perhaps there's one fixture that seems to hold up better?

/ Emergency Lights #4  
I'm sorry the pic link bombed out. The emergency lights I'm talking about are those two-bulb sets that tie into your house electrical system and come on in case of a power failure. The brand doesn't seem to matter though. I've tried three different brands including Leviton and Levonia, which are well known brands, and had disappointing success.

I've replaced those 6V batteries twice, and just today checked to see if mine are still good, after only one year, and they are fully charged. I'm just guessing that its the fixture that goes bad rather than weak batteries. ??? Perhaps there's one fixture that seems to hold up better?

I would need to get my hands on them to test for what the problem may be. I would want to know what the battery voltage was under load, and if the load will not come on, I would perform diagnostics to try to determine why. For instance is there a relay that drops with the loss of the 120 vac to energize the 6 volt DC circuit? Unfortunately I do not have any real world experience with those or any other brand. So I will be unable to advise you on something suitable.

/ Emergency Lights
Thanks k0ua for your condolences. I'm not so much worried about fixing the ones I have as to finding one that someone has purchased and works. For $20 each, they're hardly worth worrying about too much except that when I need them to work, they do work. So far the ones I've bought in the past have been disappointing, leaving us in the dark when we needed them to shine.

What I do know is that I do have 120 volts coming in to the units and 8.6v on the battery, fully charged. The units are keeping the batteries charged but no allowing the batteries to keep the lights on more than a few minutes at best. Must be some weak condensers in them, or something mystical as such. Hopefully someone has bought some that work as advertised. If so, I'm hoping they can give me the brand and/or model number.

/ Emergency Lights #6  
Thanks k0ua for your condolences. I'm not so much worried about fixing the ones I have as to finding one that someone has purchased and works. For $20 each, they're hardly worth worrying about too much except that when I need them to work, they do work. So far the ones I've bought in the past have been disappointing, leaving us in the dark when we needed them to shine.

What I do know is that I do have 120 volts coming in to the units and 8.6v on the battery, fully charged. The units are keeping the batteries charged but no allowing the batteries to keep the lights on more than a few minutes at best. Must be some weak condensers in them, or something mystical as such. Hopefully someone has bought some that work as advertised. If so, I'm hoping they can give me the brand and/or model number.

So after they are on for a bit, then go dim or go off, what does the battery read then? I assume these are small 6 volt lead acid gelled cells? Do you know what the rating in ampere hours the batteries are rated for? and are the lamps LED's or some kind of incandescent lamp?( I am trying to bet a feel for what the load is) And what did the literature say was the run time of a fully charged battery? And just because a gel cell shows fully charged, does not mean it is serviceable. I have some now that charge up nicely to full voltage and even rest at the proper voltage when taken off of the charger in my case 12.7 volts and in your case 6.3 or 6.4 volts, but they are near useless and nowhere near their amp hour rated capacity. Not even 1/10 of that rated capacity.

In my opinion, without any actual facts derived from measurements, to go on the most likely problem with your lamps is the batteries are not any good. If you bought one new battery and put it in one of your lamps and let it charge up for a day or so and retested your run time, this would tell you if my hypothesis is correct.

My confidence in my untested hypothesis is high. But it is still an untested hypothesis.

/ Emergency Lights #7  
I just buy the cheapo LED plug-in flashlights. They work fine, but need to be replaced every 5 years or so when the batteries start to go bad. Figure to replace them when you replace your smoke detectors because the polonium has decayed away to nothing.

/ Emergency Lights
So after they are on for a bit, then go dim or go off, what does the battery read then? I assume these are small 6 volt lead acid gelled cells? Do you know what the rating in ampere hours the batteries are rated for? and are the lamps LED's or some kind of incandescent lamp?( I am trying to bet a feel for what the load is) And what did the literature say was the run time of a fully charged battery? And just because a gel cell shows fully charged, does not mean it is serviceable. I have some now that charge up nicely to full voltage and even rest at the proper voltage when taken off of the charger in my case 12.7 volts and in your case 6.3 or 6.4 volts, but they are near useless and nowhere near their amp hour rated capacity. Not even 1/10 of that rated capacity.

In my opinion, without any actual facts derived from measurements, to go on the most likely problem with your lamps is the batteries are not any good. If you bought one new battery and put it in one of your lamps and let it charge up for a day or so and retested your run time, this would tell you if my hypothesis is correct.

My confidence in my untested hypothesis is high. But it is still an untested hypothesis.

Here's what I found...
I bought 6 new batteries including 1 extra new battery after my last failure, 6 months ago. Replaced all 6 fixtures at that time as well. Charged all batteries up including one of the old ones, 7 batteries in all.
After sitting 6 months idle the unused battery still shows 8.7V yesterday. Yesterday one battery that had been mounted and run down after a recent power outage measures 7.6V. Do I need to measure of that failed unit while plugged in to check the draw?

I can't tell if my fixtures are LED or incandescent just by looking. The lenses are glued in place. But I suspect they're incandescent from the yellowish light they display. Maybe just going to LED type would make a difference? Obviously, I'm just shooting in the dark - and have already missed 3 times in 4 years.

Larry, good suggestion; thanks. I'm a flashlight addict. Another 6 would fit my persona just fine :)

/ Emergency Lights #9  
You are probably looking for something bigger, but I have these around my house, and after five years, they come right on when I do a lights-out generator drill. Stay plugged in, and lights go out, they light up. Floor light and then pull out for use as a flashlight. Many different models.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-ARCBB200W-Eton-Emergency-Blackout-Flashlight/15111295

Not sure why I can't get the picture to attach. Strange.

/ Emergency Lights #10  
Here's what I found...
I bought 6 new batteries including 1 extra new battery after my last failure, 6 months ago. Replaced all 6 fixtures at that time as well. Charged all batteries up including one of the old ones, 7 batteries in all.
After sitting 6 months idle the unused battery still shows 8.7V yesterday. Yesterday one battery that had been mounted and run down after a recent power outage measures 7.6V. Do I need to measure of that failed unit while plugged in to check the draw?

I can't tell if my fixtures are LED or incandescent just by looking. The lenses are glued in place. But I suspect they're incandescent from the yellowish light they display. Maybe just going to LED type would make a difference? Obviously, I'm just shooting in the dark - and have already missed 3 times in 4 years.

Larry, good suggestion; thanks. I'm a flashlight addict. Another 6 would fit my persona just fine :)

This seems really strange that a 6 volt lead acid gel cell would measure 7+ volts after run down. are you sure these are 6 (nominal 6.3 volts) or are they supposed to be 8 volt batteries?. 8 volt batteries do exist.