Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles

/ Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles #1  

Spanky100

Silver Member
NE Texas, NE Tennessee, and SE MI and SW OH
Tractor
Current Kioti CK27HST and Cub Cadet 1810. Previous NH1510 Hydro, AC D14, Oliver 1355?, and JD 314 Lawn Tractor
I see a few 3 axle enclosed trailers in the 28 foot and longer lengths. The axle specifications on a few of the 3 axle trailers I have seen were three 5200 pound rated axles for 15,600 total. Would a higher per axle rated dual axle trailer be available for a single wheel per side? or do the limits of tires and axles start to be limiting for a single wheel per side axle. (I know the "deckovers" can use dual rear wheels per side and move the weight capacity up)

I would think making sharp turns with a triple axle bumper pull trailer would scrub the tires a lot and require a high pull force from the tow vehicle.

What are the issues of using a bumper pull triple axle enclosed race car type trailer?

Thanks

Wayne

/ Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles #2  
as you said, the more axles you have the harder it is making tight turns. on the highway it's not too bad since you are turning gradually, but in parking lots & driveways you tend to drag tires sideways (keep your air pressure up or you might find yourself taking a tire off the bead when really tight).

in the past i've looked up different trailering regulations for my state, and though i don't know the numbers, the allowable weight per axle is a pretty high number per state laws, and i expect every state is the same. i think the issue is that once you get past the 5k/6k axle capacity there isn't anything until you get into the real big stuff. plus, most lt tires for trailers seem to be in the 2500-3500lb per tire range.

/ Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles #3  
I have ran a triple axle trailer for years. We have 3 of them. My uncle has 3 3,500# axles on a boat trailer. Done this way for height. My trailer has 3 6,000# axles. And my other uncle has a triple axle 7,000# each trailer. All these are boat trailers with the last one running 16" wheels.

I prefer triple axle trailers because you can use smaller tires that are easy to find anywhere versus larger special tires that usually have to be ordered at most tires shops. A flat could mean 2-3 days down time. I also like them better than a comparable dual axle because it lowers the overall height.

As for tire wear I just about guarantee that 99 out of 100 will have the tires dry rot, blow out, ect before you will ever wear them out.

Chris

/ Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles #4  
I see a few 3 axle enclosed trailers in the 28 foot and longer lengths. The axle specifications on a few of the 3 axle trailers I have seen were three 5200 pound rated axles for 15,600 total. Would a higher per axle rated dual axle trailer be available for a single wheel per side? or do the limits of tires and axles start to be limiting for a single wheel per side axle. (I know the "deckovers" can use dual rear wheels per side and move the weight capacity up)

I would think making sharp turns with a triple axle bumper pull trailer would scrub the tires a lot and require a high pull force from the tow vehicle.

What are the issues of using a bumper pull triple axle enclosed race car type trailer?

Thanks

Wayne

Built both, ran both... the number one reason you have seen triple axle enclosed trailers are that they needed to exceed 20,000lb axle capacity and did not want a honkin' huge pair of tandem dually wheel wells ruining their low profile loading area inside.

I never had much of an issue with noticing turning forced required and to be truthful, trailer tires in any 'one behind the other' configuration do a lot of sliding and scrubbing when turned.

if you need 21,000lbs of load capacity on the axles, get a triple 7 unit. if you can live with 14,000 or 12,000 capacity, get a tandem. it's all dependent on what you need to do with it in the end, I believe.

/ Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles
Lostcause, Chris, and TrailerGuy

Thanks for the input.

Tire size with more axles allowing smaller tire height is a good reason. Single tire Load range limits combined with availability are excellent points. Have to agree that I have never had to change a trailer tire due to insufficient tread.

Taking away that I should not be afraid to use triple axle if I am in the transition range for total axle loads. Just keep the tire pressure up where it should be.

My negative must come from the past memory of multi axle special use semi-trailers. IIRC the state permitted a special use loading of around 200, 000 pounds total weight for a cast iron foundry delivery route truck that was on class A roads for a approx 20 miles between the foundry and machining location. These semi trailer were the usual 53 foot length but had axles under the compete trailer - I think they had 9 dual wheel axles on the trailer. The trucks had to make a 90 degree small radius turn after passing thru security. This turn area was a concrete pad. After each loaded truck made the turn the concrete pad had a large amount of black tire powder covering the surface that would blow away with the wind. It was interesting watching the tires as they slid sideway around the turn radius.

Thanks again

Wayne

/ Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles #6  

Thanks

Wayne

You can get single wheel axles at 8,9 and 10 thousand pound ratings.

/ Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles #7  
You can get single wheel axles at 8,9 and 10 thousand pound ratings.

Yes, but H rated rubber gets pricey and the wheels... well, let's face it, they ain't pretty at all. Unless you are really needing a special application reason, once you go over two 7,000lb axles, that can use a readily available E rated ST235/80r_16 E rated radial, you might as well run triple 5,200's to snag 15,600lbs on 15" D rated radials, jump back up to triple 6,000lb axles that run easily found 235-16's or triple 7,000's. Priced out any way you like, you can put three 7,000lb axles under a trailer with all of the brakes, wheels and E rated radials for LESS money than two 8,000lb rated units with the more exotic heavy disc wheels and H rated tires. Pricing just goes up for single wheel 9k or 10k units, from my experience.

Heck, triple 7's are a lot cheaper than even running two 10k dually axles, plus they weigh less and also have 1,000lbs more rating... AND you only have to replace 6 tires down the road, instead of 8.

/ Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles #8  
Yes, but H rated rubber gets pricey and the wheels... well, let's face it, they ain't pretty at all. Unless you are really needing a special application reason, once you go over two 7,000lb axles, that can use a readily available E rated ST235/80r_16 E rated radial, you might as well run triple 5,200's to snag 15,600lbs on 15" D rated radials, jump back up to triple 6,000lb axles that run easily found 235-16's or triple 7,000's. Priced out any way you like, you can put three 7,000lb axles under a trailer with all of the brakes, wheels and E rated radials for LESS money than two 8,000lb rated units with the more exotic heavy disc wheels and H rated tires. Pricing just goes up for single wheel 9k or 10k units, from my experience.

Heck, triple 7's are a lot cheaper than even running two 10k dually axles, plus they weigh less and also have 1,000lbs more rating... AND you only have to replace 6 tires down the road, instead of 8.

I would take dual tandem 10's over triple 7's any day.

I wouldn't have a triple axle shoved.......unless I need to go over 34k.:cool:

/ Enclosed Trailes 3 vs 2 axles #9  
I would take dual tandem 10's over triple 7's any day.

I wouldn't have a triple axle shoved.......unless I need to go over 34k.:cool:

Not me. Been there done that. The flat tire always seems to be on the inner dual plus simple things like brake and bearing service is much harder. I towed no less than 20 triple axle trailers, all boat trailers except 2 equipment trailers and prefer them.

Guess different strokes!

Chris