End of season strategy for gravel surfaces?

/ End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #1  

SuperiorLakeEffect

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901
We seem to be on our way towards spring here with some warmish weather and snow melt, but it still wouldn't be unreasonable to have another 2 months of snow either.

Wondering how everybody approaches the changeover to spring conditions.

I typically like to build up a nice solid mat of snow- a couple inches thick. But this is my first year full time at the new place, so that strategy might not work. With a long driveway, powering through several inches of hard packed slush with the car might be a challenge.

The last couple weeks, I've taken towards scraping down the mat some by raising the skids on the blower. By the end of last week, the sun had melted enough of the mat away to open up a couple small patches of gravel. So of course we got ~6 inches of snow yesterday requiring the blower.

Out come the big skid shoes, raised up high for early season conditions. Ground was pretty frozen so I didn't tear things up at all.

So how do you approach the end of season? Hang on to your mat as long as possible? Keep is scraped down as much as you can? Something else?

/ End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #2  
That is a good question. I tend to scrape some mat off, or let it melt off like this past week. (But last nights rain and temp dropping below freezing does not help break it up.) Once the mat gets tough to drive through, I have used a chain harrow to try and break it up some more. Better than that is using the small disc I have. Doesn't always break up the summer ground here, but on the 1500ft drive it works breaking up the ice. Most of the drive where I use the disc is in the woods.

Maybe Arly will offer his suggestions. Jon

/ End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #3  
This late in the season, I just try and do as little as possible. No sense wasting time,machine hours and diesel fuel on stuff that hopefully will be gone in a few weeks on it's own. Not to mention doing further ground damage. It's not like I have an obligation like a snow removal contractor or municipality to keep things well cleared. Let it melt. Sure, some more is going to come.

Last edited:
   / End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #4  
If we would ever get much snow - I leave a 1" to 2" hard packed layer on my mile long gravel driveway. Yes, it will turn to ice, water on ice, then slush. I have always had a 4WD vehicle as my primary vehicle. It's never been a problem.

Once the surface layer of the driveway softens - turn the rear blade 180 degrees and continue to plow forward.

My general conditions for plowing. If there is 8" on the ground and it's continuing to snow - I will plow. Otherwise - wait and let Mother Nature take care of it. Been this way for the 40 years I've lived here.

Most all my friends tend to have a 4WD vehicle also.

Have I ever been wrong in my decision to plow - YES. A couple times with 5" to 8" on the ground we got dumped on overnight. Ended up with 15" to 18" on the ground when all was said and done. Just more seat time and fun with the tractor.

The OVERRIDING factor, in my case, - I'm retired and don't have to be anywhere, anytime, on time. Besides - a challenge is what it's all about.

Last edited:
   / End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #5  
So how do you approach the end of season? Hang on to your mat as long as possible? Keep is scraped down as much as you can? Something else?
I hope for warm weather and the stuff to melt quickly. It usually means a couple weeks of slush and occasional glare ice when the temperature dips. Depending on how bad the ice is I sometimes drive over it with the chains to try and rough it up for traction.

I don't bother trying to scrape ice as it tends to cause more gravel damage than not. Sunny days and patience tend to be my go to. And an ice chipper to clear any ice dams to drain the standing water. Once water flows the ice goes.

/ End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #6  
For family and friends that don't have 4 WD, I run over my lane with studded ice chains on agricultural tires. Chops it up nice and gives it a rough traction surface, when it freezes again. Can be a rough ride for some, but nobody gets stuck!

/ End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #7  
For family and friends that don't have 4 WD, I run over my lane with studded ice chains on agricultural tires. Chops it up nice and gives it a rough traction surface, when it freezes again. Can be a rough ride for some, but nobody gets stuck!
My preferred method when temps soften the gravel and plowing only causes more damage

/ End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #8  
I have a 500' driveway on a 20% slope in the White Mountains of NH. We get 4'-5' of snow per year. Fortunately it ices up only about twice per winter as it usually stays below freezing here in the mountains.

I plow with an articulating rear blade, facing forward on frozen driveway, facing rearward on soft driveway.

When it ices, I spread sand but I also have euro chains on my tractor full time to help put some traction on the ice.

20% slope on sheet ice is FUN!

/ End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #9  
My preferred method when temps soften the gravel and plowing only causes more damage
I guess I failed to mention, the type of gravel driveway I have! In the past when I had 3/4" loose gravel roadway, it was a maintenance nightmare. On my current farm, the local quarry has been working on their granite gravel formula, gravel size and amount of granite dust. It's now called granular "M", which packs down rock hard, most of the time and seems to stay frozen much longer. If it does get softer and the ag tires (studded chains only leave small around holes), leave their tread pattern, my truck tires can easily smooth the lane out.

/ End of season strategy for gravel surfaces? #10  
I only leave a thin 1-2" packed snow layer on my driveway, to avoid scraping my gravel off with every plow job. Down in southern MI where it snows far less and thaws earlier, this typically melts off fast. So I guess I do.... nothing?

When I see the spring thaw coming, I pull my snow banks back another plow width. Combined with a decent crown on my driveway, this keeps the snow melting away from the driving lane. It still gets a little rutted up when the ground hasn't fully thawed out underneath. As soon as the ground is fully thawed and draining water normally again, I dress up the gravel on the driveway. I also have 3/4" loose.... I like the look and detest pot holes and water spray on my clean vehicles.