Engine error light 1538

/ Engine error light 1538 #1  

metalcaster

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
The engine error light began flashing Saturday afternoon. I have 186 hours on the unit and put in 2-1/2 hours of using a brush cutter to cut a couple acres of full growth grass on Friday evening with out any errors. The fuel level was pretty low when I started it and move a trailer around the yard some and shut it off until I could get more fuel. Got a can from the same station that I've always purchased the fuel from and transferred it to the tractor's tank . Added a few ounces of the diesel additive recommended by my dealer. I then used a power washer to clean off the hood and around the axles and operator floor area; did not spray the engine area. When I started it I noticed the flashing light.

Ran it just a little today (5 minutes) thinking that maybe there is a bit of air in the fuel system that may work it's way out? BTW it was low on power for those 5 minutes. Any suggestions other than trailering it to the dealers next week?

/ Engine error light 1538 #2  
Check with the dealer to see if there is a ECU update available for your model. They can perhaps reflash it, and you'll be off to the races. I believe that a handful of 2538s and maybe the 1538s as well were showing a phantom "high common rail pressure" error. After 50 of those false readings they may go into limp mode. (Which is possibly why your power is reduced.) If this is what it is, then the programming should fix the bug.

Perhaps not related to this, but I thought I would share what I had heard. Good luck!

/ Engine error light 1538 #3  
The engine error light began flashing Saturday afternoon. I have 186 hours on the unit and put in 2-1/2 hours of using a brush cutter to cut a couple acres of full growth grass on Friday evening with out any errors. The fuel level was pretty low when I started it and move a trailer around the yard some and shut it off until I could get more fuel. Got a can from the same station that I've always purchased the fuel from and transferred it to the tractor's tank . Added a few ounces of the diesel additive recommended by my dealer. I then used a power washer to clean off the hood and around the axles and operator floor area; did not spray the engine area. When I started it I noticed the flashing light.

Ran it just a little today (5 minutes) thinking that maybe there is a bit of air in the fuel system that may work it's way out? BTW it was low on power for those 5 minutes. Any suggestions other than trailering it to the dealers next week?

It could be related to the low fuel. I found that it will pitch a code during the 50 hour filter replacement when I changed both fuel filters. After changing the filters and priming it started and ran a few seconds then shut down and pitched the CEL and code. I figured an air bubble was in the system so I reprimed and it started up again after a bit of cranking. After another restart the light self extinguished. Without knowing what your error code is there is no way to give you anymore insight.
I suggest you get yourself an OBDII code scanner. This will let you read engine trouble codes and reset the check engine light on your own. They are worthwhile having as you can the same code scanner on your other vehicles.
BTW I did a write up in the filter changes so if you haven't yet, I suggest you give it a read as the manual will lead you astray. Hopefully with 186 hours on your machine you've already done the filter and fluid changes.

BTW if your temp gauge is inop, that is indeed bad ECU programming and your ECU will need to be reflashed to correct the error and get your temp gauge working as it should. I have a 1538 and mine required a reflash for the temp gauge to function. I haven't seen any other ECU problems at 50 hours. Other problems due to poor workmanship and slipshod work habits at the distributorship (West Coast) but nothing else that was ECU related so far.

I noticed today that Mahindra doesn't use weatherproof connectors every place you'd think they would. For example, today I noticed the connector for the PTO switch is a cheesy and cheap Amphenol connector that is open to the elements not a weather pack connector as it should be for a machine that is out in the weather and exposed to the elements. Something like that could possibly be related to your washing your tractor. Maybe it'll clear up after it's had a chance to dry completely.

/ Engine error light 1538
where is OBDII port? Not mentioned in the manual.

/ Engine error light 1538 #5  
where is OBDII port? Not mentioned in the manual.

LOL nothing else is either. You'll find it flopping around loose on the left side engine harness. It is not mounted as you'd expect it to be. Mine was tucked behind the harness so feel around the harness and you'll find it. It's just like the one in your car so you know what to look for. As I recall there were only two or three wires to the connector.

Picked up a scanner today from HF. 25% off coupon from their webpage good for only today made it less painful. And to have it on hand, like dickfoster mentioned, is a good tool to have anyway. Original connection said 4 codes, and since I didn't read the manual (just another person's opinion of how to run something) I cleared them prior to reading what they were. Ended up with a P1801 and $7E8. Selected Mitsubishi as manufacturer as Mahindra was not an option on the reader.
Also tried the primer a few times code still evident. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the dealer later this week.
This is the second long holiday weekend that this tractor has thrown a code. Last one was Labor day when the engine temperature sensor went bad. While I don't have as much that has to be done this weekend as on Labor day, it sure sucks not having this thing running properly so that I can do something with it.

Called my local dealer and talked to the service manager. He suggested changing out the fuel filter before bringing the unit in. Another owner brought theirs in and it was nothing more than the filter which is not warranty item. Owner was a bit mad that the service was not covered. I will change the filer and see what happens. I'll also ask about a possible ECU re-flash when I'm there.

/ Engine error light 1538 #8  
Picked up a scanner today from HF. 25% off coupon from their webpage good for only today made it less painful. And to have it on hand, like dickfoster mentioned, is a good tool to have anyway. Original connection said 4 codes, and since I didn't read the manual (just another person's opinion of how to run something) I cleared them prior to reading what they were. Ended up with a P1801 and $7E8. Selected Mitsubishi as manufacturer as Mahindra was not an option on the reader.
Also tried the primer a few times code still evident. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the dealer later this week.
This is the second long holiday weekend that this tractor has thrown a code. Last one was Labor day when the engine temperature sensor went bad. While I don't have as much that has to be done this weekend as on Labor day, it sure sucks not having this thing running properly so that I can do something with it.

Are you sure the temp sensor went bad. When my tractor was new, my temp gauge didn't read anything. I located and checked the sensor with an ohm meter and found normal reading with what I'd expect. It turned out to be faulty ECU programming from the factory requiring a reflash. The temp sensor feeds the ECU, the ECU then feeds a microcontroller in the display panel that runs the temperature display.
Be sure to read my post on changing the fuel filters, there are two of them. It may just save you some grief.

Are you sure the temp sensor went bad. When my tractor was new, my temp gauge didn't read anything. I located and checked the sensor with an ohm meter and found normal reading with what I'd expect. It turned out to be faulty ECU programming from the factory requiring a reflash. The temp sensor feeds the ECU, the ECU then feeds a microcontroller in the display panel that runs the temperature display.
Be sure to read my post on changing the fuel filters, there are two of them. It may just save you some grief.

As far as the sensor, I'm basing that on what I was told by the service manager. They changed the sending unit and all was fine. Since then there has been movement on the temp gauge from time to time so it is functioning.

I copied your filter change post to a word file, printed it out and placed it in my manual. Also saved a copy to my Onedrive. The instructions did help. I removed the loader and I do think that it may have been easier to see and access with it off. Did not remove the splash shield though.

My dealer has 4 locations and shares a Mahindra code reader among them. I suggested they start building a reference table comparing what a code that a standard OBDI reader provides vs. the Mahindra reading. Maybe get faster servicing by using a reader that is cheaper and readily available. Maybe someone else has already done this?

Well the code that I was able to retrieve was P1801. Gave that to my dealer's service manager and he contacted his Mahindra rep. Rep asked how did you get that before the TSB? Anyway they had me bring it in for an ECU reprogram. It seems that the key needs to be on for 5-8 seconds before starting for the ECU to complete the boot sequence. If done too many times it errors out and throws the CEL. We will see if this corrects it.