engine racket and smoke

/ engine racket and smoke #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
Tonight I was loaning a buddy my boxblade. While we were loading in his trailer my tractor was idling and then the engine started rattling badly with some black smoke. After about 5 seconds it stopped and the engine went back to running normally. I went on to use it with it running for at least the next hour with no issues. What could have been the problem and can I expect for more bad things to happen?

/ engine racket and smoke #2  
Check your fuel bowl/filter for any water or contaminants. When did you last change fuel filter? Is your fuel supply clean and fresh?

/ engine racket and smoke
Fuel is clean and fresh and treated with power service. Probably could use a fuel filter change. It sits a lot these days. So hour wise, not ready, but it's been a while in time.

/ engine racket and smoke #4  
Maybe a little crud made it to one of the injectors or one was sticking a bit. Sounds as if it was loading up a cylinder and then fixed itself. I think you'll be fine. Maybe add a little extra power service to the tank. It won't hurt it. If it was the IP, I think it would still be running bad. I change my filter by engine hours. Not how many months. Mine is eight years old and just over 500 hours. Never had a problem doing service by the hour meter.